• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who here collects or appreciates American Love Tokens? (Photos)

9 posts in this topic

I find these tokens charming and a neat way of expressing love back in the 19th century. Now, of course, we have Hallmark... but I bet these tokens of affection meant more to the giver and receiver back then.

Here's an interesting one I recently picked up. It's the first I've seen in this stage of preparation:

LOVE TOKEN, Obverse:

loveo.jpg

Love TOKEN, Reverse:

lover.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Maybe the two lovers broke up before he or she got to begin the engraving. smirk.gif

I don't collect them, but some that I have seen are very well done and quite interesting.

John

Pat that is cool. In the 20+ years that I have collected these I have never seen one in that state.

They Slab these now..... How does the slabber tell if it is original or a newly made token ? You know sort of like the Hobo Nickles (SP) that have been reproduced also.

Ken

Very interesting, Pat. The beading around the central flat area is quite intricate. If coins could talk,...

I also like the PCI insert.

Hoot

Very interesting, Pat. The beading around the central flat area is quite intricate. If coins could talk,...

I also like the PCI insert.

Hoot

Thank you. The cool deal too is the 'insert' in the center of the quarter rotates freely within the coin although cannot be removed. When I purchased the coin the owner told me he believed the insert was 14K gold.

As far as the possibility it could be a newer creation, when I study the patina in and around the modifications to the coin it doesn't stike me that is a possibility, unlike the obvious modern "Hobo Nickel" alterations found today.

Never saw anything like that. Very cool.

I have been looking for a love token with the initial "L" or name "Lisa" (for my wife) for about five years with no luck. A couple years ago on ebay there was a love token made on a Morgan dollar that said "Lisa" and I thought I was finally going to get one.

Sold for about $400! Way past my max. frown.gif

Here's one I bought a while back on eBay, it's a half eagle love token, but the engraving is really not that intricate. I also have a seated dime that is incredibly intricate, but I can't find it. confused.gif The thing that really interested me on this coin was first that it was gold, and you see relatively few gold love tokens, and second, it is dated on my birthday (though long before I was born).

1901rev.jpg

1901obv.jpg