• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Search is Over! posted by Electric Peak Collection

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

After six-plus years...

If you have read my past journals, you probably know I have been trying to build a P-mint, MS64, cent through dollar 1890 set as a high school graduation present for my youngest son. Why 1890? He was born in 1990, and I thought it would be better to go 100 years early than just get him a 1990 set or a graduation year set.

You can do the math. Just finishing the set now is a bit late. He has not only finished college, but has a job. The problem was that 1890 half dollars do not turn up very often in MS64 (or a little lower) at prices I am willing to pay. A couple months ago, one got away in a live on-line bidding fiasco (see earlier journals).

So how did I finally get the elusive coin? I decided to look up the website of the company from which I just bought an 1860-O half dime at the ANA. Their inventory is listed on eBay and Collectors Corner. While poking around in CC, I did a search for 1890 half dollars. And there it was, a nice PCGS MS64 with CAC sticker. I could not see anything bothersome in the photos.

During my search, one frustrating thing was that 1890 halves in the 60 to 65 range, whether MS or proof, have been selling for more than the retail price guides would suggest. But the present coin was listed below the price guide numbers! So I jumped on it.

Now it's on to a college graduation present...

Happy Collecting to all!

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection

Glad you finally found the coin you wanted. I hate it when a coin I want/need eludes me. The 1890 half turned out to be quite elusive. Good things do come to those that wait.

Todd

That was a great story " like the last on the coin I read a few months ago". I am glad you got the half finally to complete the set and at lower gray sheet prices than you will find in a couple months.

Congrats,

Rick