• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone know this Ebay seller?

26 posts in this topic

Ebay listing

I was going to buy it but..

I verified the certification on it and the slab is fake. The cert # shows the coin in an edgeview holder, his is not. His seller ID shows he is a coin dealer so I am going to hope that he didn't realize the slab is fake when he listed it.

But does anyone know the seller?

-Dave

Stateline Coin Exchange is a legitimate coin dealership. I have seen them at large coin shows, and have visited their booth. I see no problem with the coin in the listing, and I haven't had any negative interactions with this company. They seem on the up and up.

Ebay listing

I verified the certification on it and the slab is fake. The cert # shows the coin in an edgeview holder, his is not. His seller ID shows he is a coin dealer so I am going to hope that he didn't realize the slab is fake when he listed it.

-Dave

P.S. You are aware that sometimes dealers have coins reholdered and don't bother paying a photographer to photograph them again, right?

Ebay listing

-Dave

P.S. You are aware that sometimes dealers have coins reholdered and don't bother paying a photographer to photograph them again, right?

Thats what I was thinking he did. I emailed him on Ebay also. I would like to buy it, but I want to find out what the deal is directly from him before spending a couple thousand bucks.

-Dave

Ebay listing

-Dave

Thats what I was thinking he did. I emailed him on Ebay also. I would like to buy it, but I want to find out what the deal is directly from him before spending a couple thousand bucks.

-Dave

Then no offense, but why did you accuse him of listing a fake slab if you had contemplated this possibility? You didn't ask for opinions as to the veracity of the slab; rather, you summarily concluded, without any evidence and solely on the basis of speculation, that it was a fake slab and then proceeded to defame a dealer. You didn't even question the slab, you stated that it was fake as if this was fact. You should have strong evidence before you accuse someone of engaging in selling fake slabs - it can be harmful to someone's good reputation. I think a simple, private email to clarify the situation would have sufficed, or you could have solicited opinons and experiences without making accusations of wrongdoing. There is nothing wrong with being cautious, but you also shouldn't jump to conclusions without solid evidence.

First off, it was not speculation with what info I had at the time. The cert # shows a DIFFERENT SLAB, his listing didn't say or clearly state the the picture is of the PREVIOUS SLAB. it is a key date coin and I wouldn't doubt that there are counterfeit slabs of that coin around. Someone here said in a thread a few months ago about counterfeit slabs and how the counterfeiters will use a Certification that is assigned to another coin but it matches the coin they want to fraudulently slab.

WITH THE INFO PROVIDED it could be a fake slab TO SOMEONE who doesn't personally know the seller.

Why would your opinion matter unless you know exactly what that seller did with that exact coin?! You could say that the slab and coin is legit because of your personal encounters with the seller but you also could be speculating. If he is so concerned with how the coin is photographed why are many of his other listings photographed with JUST as good of quality as anyone? NO OFFENSE but if you really need professional photography for an Ebay listing.......smh.

2nd, HOW DID I DEFAME HIM? Did I DIRECTLY insult, slander or belittle HIM? NO I did NOT. Defaming him would imply that he SOLD me a fake slabbed coin and I caught him. If he is SUCH a reputable dealer why is the listing description weak? "Item may not have been removed from its original holder"

OK so the coin COULD or COULD NOT be in the original holder? How would one know IF he doesn't state otherwise in the listing?

I did send him an Email. You are over reacting as if the seller is your brother! The listing description is poor, the image doesn't match what the TPGs cert verifier shows and he doesn't say ANYTHING about the photo being outdated or the coin being re-slabbed! Plenty of "evidence" for me considering I don't know the seller.

Last time I asked for opinions on a NGC graded coin, several members here did the same thing I did: VERIFY THE CERTIFICATION. I said "I am going to hope" meaning I am giving the seller the benefit of the doubt and I am going to wait for HIS, not your third party, reply. He COULD engage in selling fake slabs IF he didn't know it WAS fake when he purchased it. I have seen very knowledgable dealers buy fake slabbed coins and they sell it not knowing the slab is fake.

I WAS being cautious and I ASKED if anyone knew the seller because maybe someone has had a bad experience with him or viseversa? So far we have 1 (your) "review" of your experience. There is also nothing wrong with accusing someone of something. If the slab is legit, NO HARM DONE and I was wrong. I would rather be wrong and cautions than to waste my time/money.

Wow, this place has gotten tense lately...

Btw, Dave, you did jump to conclusions on the slab. But, I think "Kenny" also seemed to have had a nerve touched?

Anyway, let's wait for a response from the dealer and then move forward from that point.

EVP

Ebay listing

-Dave

I verified the certification on it and the slab is fake

As has been pointed out, your originally stated conclusion is likely incorrect and an unfair assumption. That was very different than merely saying that the cert verification indicated the coin was in an edge-view holder.

The coin in the NGC images for that cert # does not look toned at all, as opposed to the one in the auction.

While I don't like jumping to conclusions, I suspect there may be an issue with the slab. I'm not commenting on the dealer whatsoever.

I verified the certification on it and the slab is fake

As has been pointed out, your originally stated conclusion is likely incorrect and an unfair assumption. That was very different than merely saying that the cert verification indicated the coin was in an edge-view holder.

+1

If I was a dealer and saw this posted on a public website which led folks to think I was selling fake slabs....I don't believe I would be doing business with the poster. It can take many years to build a solid reputation as a dealer and it only takes a few threads like this to undo it all. I don't think you were being malicious I just think you need to be more careful before jumping to a conclusion that could hurt the dealers business.

The coin in the NGC images for that cert # does not look toned at all, as opposed to the one in the auction.

While I don't like jumping to conclusions, I suspect there may be an issue with the slab. I'm not commenting on the dealer whatsoever.

What coin are you looking at in the certification lookup? It is clearly toned, and you can see the untoned/silver band region clearly on the obverse upper right and the small spot by the letter T of "LIBERTY". It is definitely the same coin for sale on eBay and in the NGC verification photos.

NGC Certification Lookup

It's the same coin...you can clearly see the untoned streak on the obverse going across the sheild???

!B9O07rQCWk~$(KGrHqZ,!joEzK0O)hz2BM5LTSH5Tg~~0_12.JPG

There seems to be some sort of amplifying device that shows a very large quarter sitting on top of another in a NGC slab. I like the coin on top, but it seems large for a quarter. Dies this qualify for eBay rules? showing a picture of a coin in a slab, but not the slab you receive?

It's the same coin...you can clearly see the untoned streak on the obverse going across the sheild???

Didn't really look at that closely enough I see, The NGC images are much less colorful.

Agreed that this is the correct coin, just in a new holder.

But, I think "Kenny" also seemed to have had a nerve touched?

Not at all, and I didn't mean my message to be combative or rude. I still stick by my assertion that it is unfair to make bold accusations without proof, particularly where it could adversely affect someone's reputation.

Edited to add: Making reckless claims without evidence that could adversely affect someone's reputation is potentially tortious. That is what that comment was in reference to, and I was trying to be helpful to the OP. In the litigious society we live in, you can never be too careful. Also, I don't see a problem with being cautious, but again, you don't openly accuse someone of selling fake items without proof and stating that they are fake as if this is fact. This is inherently unfair and potentially tortious.

Why would your opinion matter unless you know exactly what that seller did with that exact coin?! You could say that the slab and coin is legit because of your personal encounters with the seller but you also could be speculating. If he is so concerned with how the coin is photographed why are many of his other listings photographed with JUST as good of quality as anyone? NO OFFENSE but if you really need professional photography for an Ebay listing.......smh.

Actually I wasn't speculating at all. With regards to the seller's reputation, I was responding directly to your question. In terms of deciding whether the coin was legitimate, I made that assessment on my own from the eBay listing itself by analyzing, inter alia, the coin itself and the holder, all of which are substantive evidence. If you want top dollar for a coin, a professional photographer is a wise choice, especially for coins that cost a few grand.

2nd, HOW DID I DEFAME HIM? Did I DIRECTLY insult, slander or belittle HIM? NO I did NOT. Defaming him would imply that he SOLD me a fake slabbed coin and I caught him. If he is SUCH a reputable dealer why is the listing description weak? "Item may not have been removed from its original holder"

OK so the coin COULD or COULD NOT be in the original holder? How would one know IF he doesn't state otherwise in the listing?

Stating that someone is selling fake coins or coins in a fake slab is damaging to their reputation and when it is not true, and the statement is made with recklessness, it is potentially tortious and actionable. It doesn't matter whether you said that he sold it to you or not. You stated that he was selling a coin in a fake slab, and that is problematic.

If you don't take the photo's yourself for listings......where do you get them? Is there a website that has old photos of your coins? I'm confused. I couldn't imagine making a listing and not using a photo of the current product.

SCE is a reputable dealer. I have sold to them and one of their numismatists and I have discussed coins during lot viewing at auctions and what is at other dealers tables at shows. I always go by their table to chat and see if we can do buisness. I would contact them and point out that the old slab shown is not what the coin is in now, and see what they say. It may be it was an oversight on their part using old images.

Best, HT

Ebay listing

-Dave

-Dave

Then no offense, but why did you accuse him of listing a fake slab if you had contemplated this possibility? You didn't ask for opinions as to the veracity of the slab; rather, you summarily concluded, without any evidence and solely on the basis of speculation, that it was a fake slab and then proceeded to defame a dealer. You didn't even question the slab, you stated that it was fake as if this was fact. You should have strong evidence before you accuse someone of engaging in selling fake slabs - it can be harmful to someone's good reputation. I think a simple, private email to clarify the situation would have sufficed, or you could have solicited opinons and experiences without making accusations of wrongdoing. There is nothing wrong with being cautious, but you also shouldn't jump to conclusions without solid evidence.

+1

I honestly didn't mean to imply anything was wrong, I am new to this and was wondering where the photos come from. Are they photographed when graded and then available for download to the owner?

Dies this qualify for eBay rules? showing a picture of a coin in a slab, but not the slab you receive?
I was wondering the same thing....

I am another that has done business with this dealer (Steve) and would not hesitate to do so again. Our paths cross occasionally and I always enjoy chatting coins with him.

Another great example that these forums are an excellent learning experience for all.

Some OP's ask good questions, and (in my opinion) should not be overly criticized by others.

I was not previously aware that the same cert number can be used on a re-holder.

I appreciate the forums and suggest all members appreciate the education that can be accomplished through them.

All the best.