• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Of skulduggery and chicanery

13 posts in this topic

I would need more details, such as who detemines if a coin is counterfeit and adds the seller to the site, who maintains site and removes false entries, and how it would be organized.

I am guessing most dealers have sold a counterfeit without knowing it, just as TPGs have certified as authentic coins that should not have been.

It stinks.

As proposed submitting to the list would be anonymous. So say I have a grudge against a dealer, I put his name on the list and maliciously damage his reputation. It's anonymous so I can't be held responsible.

What about someone who unknowingly lists a fake. Next thing he knows there are a half dozen or more reports that he sells fake coins.

Whoever hosts the list runs the risk of facing a lawsuit for defamation.

These objections are the same ones that keep any forum from maintaining a good or bad dealers list. A suggestion which comes up frequently.

Some time ago, I suggested a change to the standard coin bourse floor plan that would help with the counterfeiting and theft problem.

Tables would be arranged in arcs centered on a raised platform. Thieves, importers and makers of counterfeits, adulterators of coins, and other numismatic miscreants would be forcibly pilloried on the platform. Two red-robed, hooded officials would read the charges against the accused. YNs would then pile dry wood and tinder on the platform. One of the robed officials would then pronounce the name of each accused and ask all present to confirm his/her guilt. When all the accused had been declared guilty, the other official would bring forth a lighted torch and set fire to the tinder.

All present would sing Kumbaya and toss mustard packets into the flames. Later, YNs would toast marshmallows and make ‘smores over the embers as the “Wise Ones” told of ancient lore and the “Time Before Slabs.”

For unknown reasons, this idea did not get accepted. We have lots of auctions instead.

For unknown reasons, this idea did not get accepted.

It was because the indoor burning would be against fire codes and you would probably set off the sprinkler system. Move the burning outdoors and we might be able to make a go of it except in very dry weather. Open burning laws and such

There is a dealer ATS, not fat, who started a thread about how to combat counterfeiting in our hobby/industry.

He is trying to combat one form of skulduggery and chicanery. What do you think of the idea?

I think the old EagleEye may be in a little over his head. But then look at the customers he's trying to persuade. That might explain it.

For unknown reasons, this idea did not get accepted.

It was because the indoor burning would be against fire codes and you would probably set off the sprinkler system. Move the burning outdoors and we might be able to make a go of it except in very dry weather. Open burning laws and such

Fire is too messy. But I think it would be more amusing and self-satisfying if the YNs filled socks with CULL Nickels and took turns beating the accused. Maybe let some dealers get in on the fun as a stress reliever.

-Dave

All present would sing Kumbaya and toss mustard packets into the flames. Later, YNs would toast marshmallows and make ‘smores over the embers as the “Wise Ones” told of ancient lore and the “Time Before Slabs.”

Why does this remind me of "Lord of the Flies"? hm

jom

Some time ago, I suggested a change to the standard coin bourse floor plan that would help with the counterfeiting and theft problem.

Tables would be arranged in arcs centered on a raised platform. Thieves, importers and makers of counterfeits, adulterators of coins, and other numismatic miscreants would be forcibly pilloried on the platform. Two red-robed, hooded officials would read the charges against the accused. YNs would then pile dry wood and tinder on the platform. One of the robed officials would then pronounce the name of each accused and ask all present to confirm his/her guilt. When all the accused had been declared guilty, the other official would bring forth a lighted torch and set fire to the tinder.

For unknown reasons, this idea did not get accepted. We have lots of auctions instead.

:signfunny:lol

It stinks.

As proposed submitting to the list would be anonymous. So say I have a grudge against a dealer, I put his name on the list and maliciously damage his reputation. It's anonymous so I can't be held responsible.

What about someone who unknowingly lists a fake. Next thing he knows there are a half dozen or more reports that he sells fake coins.

Whoever hosts the list runs the risk of facing a lawsuit for defamation.

These objections are the same ones that keep any forum from maintaining a good or bad dealers list. A suggestion which comes up frequently.

Upon reading the first post ONLY ATS, I read this thread, and founder Conder expressed virtually the exact same thing I was thinking.

It's is an awful idea, both in concept and in proposed execution.

Anything anonymous is a bad idea, If you purchase a counterfeit and cannot come to an agreement with the seller, there should be no problem listing somewhere, the accused deserve to know who the accusers are. Then again when the same person continually purchases counterfeit coins......who is at fault. I know if I sold a counterfeit, I would make it right with the purchaser, no problem.....I would also have no problem naming who I purchased the counterfeit from. I'm not saying I have any answers, but I know this forum has no problems naming others for lesser offenses