• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning spot

24 posts in this topic

Is the toning spot on the reverse consistent with the MS-67 grade, or did it likely develop after the coin was slabbed?

iowa_obv-1.jpg

iowa_rev-1.jpg

While the spot isn't going to detract from the technical or condition-grade, it's likely going to negatively impact the money or market-grade, and, I'll tell you why. Simply put, it throws off your eye-movement through the coin. Think about it. That's why coins with spots on them don't "feel right."

That had to develope after being graded..sneeze,food,booger:(

^^

True Story:

Got this back after sending it in for grading, sold it, customer said WTF, refunded customer, sent in to fix, came back same grade with an obvious discoloration where the item (potato chip?) had been.

foreign-matter.jpg

:whistle:

Odds are heavily in favor of the spot developing later, from some contaminant on the coin not rinsed off after it was dipped. Similar problems occur when TPGs leave hair, hamburger particles, or pieces of ripped clothing INSIDE the slab, with the coin.

At least it's a natural spot, so that's good.

How do you know that the spot is "natural"? Also corrosion is also a "natural" process, but I wouldn't consider it good (and I am not saying that I think this particular spot is corrosive per se based on the original poster's images). Regardless, I would send the coin in under the guarantee or flip it (with fair disclosure) before the spot can develop any more (if it is capable of doing so).

While the spot isn't going to detract from the technical or condition-grade...

This is not the case especially if whatever the "blob" is has etched itself into the metal. Fortunately, I think a quick dip will solve the problem, but the coin needs to be sent back for PCGS for them to do it (i.e. so if a problem does present itself, they are responsible for it).

I wouldn't call it speculation, if you blow up Heritage pic and see in the center of the toning, there is a 'bleb' that is not part of the original design.

bleb.jpg[/img]

How do you know that the spot is "natural"? Also corrosion is also a "natural" process, but I wouldn't consider it good (and I am not saying that I think this particular spot is corrosive per se based on the original poster's images). Regardless, I would send the coin in under the guarantee or flip it (with fair disclosure) before the spot can develop any more (if it is capable of doing so).

A natural spot is just a spot that's not unnatural.

This is not the case especially if whatever the "blob" is has etched itself into the metal. Fortunately, I think a quick dip will solve the problem, but the coin needs to be sent back for PCGS for them to do it (i.e. so if a problem does present itself, they are responsible for it).

Really, get what I'm saying. The technical or condition-grade of the coin isn't affected by that spot. But the money or market-grade is.

yes, but if you don't crack it by the freshness date the guarantee is null and void

How can I find out the freshness date?

Thank You.

A natural spot is just a spot that's not unnatural.

The technical or condition-grade of the coin isn't affected by that spot. But the money or market-grade is.

I agree and that's why the coin hammered where it did in my opinion.

65 money and would have cracked and dipped.Than observe for at least six months for changes.There is a possiblity that dipping could remove the culprit.

65 money and would have cracked and dipped.Than observe for at least six months for changes.There is a possiblity that dipping could remove the culprit.

I feel the culprit is actually dip residue that wasn't neutralized properly. I see this on coins all over the web and brouse floor as it starts life as gold then turns brown then finally cancerous black spots which eat into the coins surface.

I prefer to purchase coins that have been dipped in a old holder and stable. As although dipping might be considered harmless to some the solutions are after all very acidic.

] the culprit is actually dip residue that wasn't neutralized properly. I see this on coins all over the web and brouse floor as it starts life as gold then turns brown then finally cancerous black spots which eat into the coins surface.

Is this coin an example of cancerous black spots?

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

Should I send these back to PCGS, and if so, what is the process (having never done this before).

Thank You.

I feel the culprit is actually dip residue that wasn't neutralized properly. I see this on coins all over the web and brouse floor as it starts life as gold then turns brown then finally cancerous black spots which eat into the coins surface.

I prefer to purchase coins that have been dipped in a old holder and stable. As although dipping might be considered harmless to some the solutions are after all very acidic.

Too centralized for dip residue.