• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone have comments on Anthony Swiatek’s new book Commemorative coin book?

8 posts in this topic

Encyclopedia of the Commemorative Coins of the United States by Anthony J. Swiatek.

At $150 retail ($75 on a pre-pub promotion) it seems rather pricy, but with 750+ pages (6x9-in.) in color...well, printing is expensive.

It seems to include modern coins through about 2005. The web site blurb says, “This is the ultimate reference guide to United States memorial coinage. Described in detail are the stories behind America’s commemorative coins: the historical events and the people memorialized the artists and sculptors, the lawmakers & public officials.”

I personally think the $75 offer is a very reasonable price.

If I did not take advantage of this price, I will admit that I would hesitate to pay $150.0, not because it is a reasonable price or not, but because it would cross the mental threshold of an expenditure I would make. It would always be in the back of my mind that it is only worth $75.00.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I bought the book at the summer FUN show for $90. After reading a number of chapters in it, mostly in random order, I've come the conclusion that it is a bargain. The text is far more informative than the first book Swiatek wrote with Breen, and the illustrations are mostly in color. There is a lot of good information here in one place, and it covers all of the commemorative coins, including the modern pieces and has notes about each State Quarter.

The paper is high quality and the book is a more convenient "normal size." There is some space devoted to the investment aspects of each commemorative with a more than necessary emphasis (in my opinion) on the opportunities offered from buying super high grade coins. The market analysis aspect of the book is its weakest and most ephemeral aspect IMO.

If you are really interested in U.S. commemorative coins, this book is quite worthwhile, but it is not the be all and end all. There are other commemorative books that provide other bits of information that also useful. These include Q. David Bowers "giant book" that was published years ago, Don Taxay's book published in 1967 that provides illustrations of the proposed but not accepted designs and even Arlie Slabaugh's thin volume that provides brief, but entertaining histories of the people and events commemorated on the coins.

I don't think that the book is worth $150, but if you are an advanced collector, you will enjoy it.

I doubt it will ever sell from anyone other than the publisher for anywhere near $150. That's probably just a price that is used to establish a wholesale price of $75. Perhaps I'll look for it at ANA.

I'm glad that an exhaustive book like this has come out on commemoratives; unfortunately the market for them is still in the doldrums. I just hope someday I can work my way through the complete Adler-VanDoren book list! Book club?

I'm glad that an exhaustive book like this has come out on commemoratives; unfortunately the market for them is still in the doldrums. I just hope someday I can work my way through the complete Adler-VanDoren book list! Book club?

Indeed, the market is in the doldrums.

That means Commemoratives are on sale, folks. :-)

Look up the mintages on the early Commemoratives. Many are low, low, low.

Buy them while they're on sale.

did find one error in the book, however.

In the 1984 Olympic chapter, Swiatek claimed that the six piece set in the wooden box with Proof and Uncirculated coins came with a Proof 1984-P $10 gold. He said that he had seen sets with the more common 1984-W Proof $10 gold substituted for the scarcer 1984-P with the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) missing. I knew my set had the 1984-W in it, and I was thinking ,"Oh darn!" Then I checked the COA. It said that the set did in fact contain the coin with the W mint mark.