• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A great idea --- I think.

14 posts in this topic

Talking with a friend today, I came up with a good idea, maybe. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was talking about light reflectivity and slabs. During the conversation today, a friend mentioned that a gorgeously toned, high-end classic commem looked better in a PCGS holder. The colors and appeal seemed to have been enhanced for whatever reason.

It got me to thinking. Why is that? Maybe, it's because NGC's holder has lots of white which reflect the light. PCGS has clear plastic which captures the light, difuses it by refraction through the plastic which breaks the light down into the basic colors of the light spectrum, therefore enhancing the surface of the coin.

This may all be b.s. but it is my thought process.

So, the idea?

Create a new slab that really enhances the viewing of the encapsulated coin. Some research and trial and error may be required. If a new slab was created with a way to channel the light from a light source and project it onto the surface of the coin, then little shall be hidden. Fiber optics could be embedded within the holder concentrically around the coin.

A hand held light source should also be created for the slab. It should be easy and portable. Just insert the slab, turn on the light and it would be projected onto both surfaces via fiber optics simultaneously. Perhaps flourescent lighting would be best or maybe even halogen.

Anyway, one will have a singe hand-held light source which will accomodate a slabbed coin, light is projected onto the surface, thus providing added viewing enjoyment. Plus, it will help one evaluate a coin before purchase, even with poor lighting as is often encountered on the bourse floor.

Anyway, just an idea. I would be cool if it could be cheaply produced.

sweet

would make a superlative display with some toned coins with your hand held light sourse in a case

i bet would show off the coins better and win a best of show award

this gets the 5 stars up michael seal of approval

michael

Sounds like an idea you should pursue, Victor. Might be tough to market to the current TPGs but it might work as a slab that an individual can use, such as those developed by Amos Advantage.

Hoot

Great idea! Perhaps only the insert needs changed! With an optional choice for brilliant coins and another for the toned! Like a transparant blue or green insert, something that will absorb and disperse the light for toned coins while the white would help reflect some light away from a lustrous coin to enhance it's appearence.

Leo

The whole slab could be fiber optic, or at least layers in the center. With a little experimentation it should be possible to even have the light's color changed. You'd still need a light source to get the effect but it could be more dramatic under the right conditions especially with proofs and uncs.

I like your idea very much and have actually thought about this very concept in the past. It would especially be cool with the multi-coin holder that NGC has.

• Administrator

Can you make fiber optics from neutral plastics that don't leak corrosives?

Can you make fiber optics from neutral plastics that don't leak corrosives?

Even if not, the slab can be redesigned such that the fiber optic material is "outside" of the case holding the coin. It would definitely change the appearance of the coin under some lighting conditions.

I can just see it now; people sending in their coins to get reholdered with a different color filter. foreheadslap.gif

Alright, alright already. I've been off-line for two weeks and I get all of these great replies. Enough already. grin.gif

Seriously though, great responses. 893applaud-thumb.gif

NGC, why don't you take this idea and run with it? thumbsup2.gif

I would be cool if it could be cheaply produced.

p.s. I just noticed the typo. Ooops! What a blooper. blush.gif

I meant to say "It would be cool..."