• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1928-D Standing Liberty Quarter -- GRADE POSTED

24 posts in this topic

Ok gentlemen and ladies, let me have it. Guess the grade of my newest type coin purchase. It resides in one of those newer PCGS pronged holders (which I'm not a huge fan of).

127967.jpg.dc68deac0ef678cd01136dcf2356e085.jpg

The surfaces are unusually clean and based on those alone, I would have no problem with a 66 or 66+. My problem, however, is with what I am perceiving to be a weak strike (and not just on the head - I know that is acceptable). The coin seems weakly struck in some places, so I'll guess that the TPG held it back to a 65 or 65+.

I'm probably a million miles off here; this is not my series (and it is one that I have historically had some problems with when it comes to accounting for strike).

Kenny can you downsize or remove that gigantic picture? It makes the thread a bit obnoxious to read... I hate side to side scrolling! Thanks.

Well PCGS grade that one MS-66, but with that big, obvious cut in Ms. Liberty's shin, I won't pay MS-66 money for it.

The coin posted by coinman 23885 was graded 65,if that is the one you were commenting about!!

It probably is in an MS-65 hodler, but I would pass on it at that level because of the nick on the shin. When you can get an MS-65 without that, why buy one that has it?

It probably is in an MS-65 hodler, but I would pass on it at that level because of the nick on the shin. When you can get an MS-65 without that, why buy one that has it?

Bill, are you referring to the coin I posted? Or to the older picture of the one that Kenny posted (now removed)?

Your previous comment/assessment referenced a "big obvious cut in Ms. Liberty's shin"...the small barely noticeable in hand nick on the quarter I posted in no way (or very minimally) detracts from the coin in my opinion. Just as I don't believe in "one spot" grading of Morgan Dollars (e.g., there is more than the cheek to the coin) I don't believe in microscopic grading of SLQs.

Thanks for the comments and clarification. I always like your opinion as it is definitely a reality check.

Even with the nick on the leg this coin looks MS 66, the rest of the coin is very clean. At the least the coin should be MS 65 + .

A weak strike is typical for this date and mint mark.

Even with the nick on the leg this coin looks MS 66, the rest of the coin is very clean. At the least the coin should be MS 65 + .

A weak strike is typical for this date and mint mark.

Yes Sir.

I don't believe in microscopic grading of SLQs.

You had best believe in it unless you want to lose your shirt. I've been there and learned my lesson with series. This is one group of coins where a 10X glass is mandatory. When dealers are selling things like the hit on the shin "don't matter." When they are buying it's the reason for passing or making you a discounted offer.

The same goes for for a rub on the knee or worse yet a rub all the down Ms. Liberty's shin.

I know because I got burned on this series as kid collector. As a dealer I had no problems, because I was really tough on every coin I purchased for resale.

I don't believe in microscopic grading of SLQs.

You had best believe in it unless you want to lose your shirt. I've been there and learned my lesson with series. This is one group of coins where a 10X glass is mandatory. When dealers are selling things like the hit on the shin "don't matter." When they are buying it's the reason for passing or making you a discounted offer.

The same goes for for a rub on the knee or worse yet a rub all the down Ms. Liberty's shin.

I know because I got burned on this series as kid collector. As a dealer I had no problems, because I was really tough on every coin I purchased for resale.

Well, to "lose my shirt" I'd have to be selling the coin -- which I'm not. I personally think the coin is correctly graded otherwise I would not have purchased it. But, I do appreciate your input -- I know when to listen to those who have been around longer than me. ;) Thanks Bill.

-Brandon

I won't keep you all in suspense any longer. Thanks to all for the guesses, insight, and wisdom. The GTG threads are educational!

127995.jpg.faa5d84abdd6c33f9e6c45f094019526.jpg

Brandon, I don't believe you would have any problem re-selling this piece for 66 money, unless you paid a high premium for the second opinion sticker. You always have CAC's buyback policy to fallback on. It's a very nice piece. Congrats.

Glad to see the coin got a 66 and was CAC certified. I don’t think that nick on the leg is as bad as it looks from the photo in hand. As posted prior because the rest of it was so clean I felt the coin was MS 66.

I also doubt you will have any trouble selling this for MS 66 money.

Can I ask what you paid for it ?? Based on what I have seen around $600 seems like a fair price.

Thanks Mark and Dudley for the kind words.

I paid $620 for the coin, which I thought was a fair price. I like the coin very much in hand -- the luster is just beaming and the small nick on the shin is about the only mark on the coin anywhere.

PCGS price guide is $750, Numismedia FMV is $730. The last two MS66 CACed examples on HA.com sold for $575 (PCGS) and $747 (NGC) in June of this year. the PCGS example has what I could call not super appealing toning, and the NGC example was blast white like my piece. Again, I think this supports that $620 was a fair price.

-Brandon