• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New USA Type Set player...

7 posts in this topic

It is me! I've decided to make NGC's USA Type Set my main registry set focus. I don't have (and probably will never have) the high grade very early coins some people already have. So I will never be #1. However I fully expect to be in the top 10 laugh.gif

Carl,

Good for you! A U.S. type set is great set to work on, and one that I would like to start someday. Like you, I know that none of my registry sets will ever be number 1. My sets rank wherever they happen to fall in the registry. But honesty, I couldn’t care less. I just buy the coins that I like, in grades I can afford, and have a ball doing it! The only reason I really list my sets is so I can share them with other collectors who might appreciate them, as none of my family or friends, other than the ones I have made on the NGC boards are into coins.

Good luck & Have fun! thumbsup2.gif

John

Way to go, Carl! I think you will enjoy this quite a bit. My own set was ranked as high as five, I believe, but it has slid a bit since I sold some pieces in order to buy a single, expensive coin.

Welcome Carl,

I chose to go the type set route because there are so many beautiful designs. I couldnt make up my mind which to collect so I figured I would go for them all. smile.gif

Great news Carl! I hope you are as successful at it as you were your proof nickels! smile.gif

No high grades necessary, just great coins. cloud9.gif

Hoot

Thanks folks!

I'm enjoying learning about the different types. I do have several coins I could sell to buy one better coin. I don't think it would hurt my standing either. Some of the top sets are much less complete than mine but have some really awesome coins.

I have a few great coins. But I also did buy two very low grade seated coins because I wanted to fill some holes and was getting tired of all those seated types!

I hear you about the Seated coins, there are a lot of types to fill for that era. So many extremely similar types, in fact, that that was the single reason that I wondered if I should even try to complete this set.