• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone out there speak Canadian ?

26 posts in this topic

Got this message this morning

Dear Seller,

I was surprised to learn that I was the successful bidder on this lovely waistcoat button since I did not extend a bid of this amount.

I would have cautiously proceeded since I know what my budgetary limits are, and approx. $86.00 US dollars is certainly not anywhere in my realm for this one item.

I tried to go into the system to trace back my last bid but can't seem to find that trail. However, I know it was incrementally raised but I did not leap to the 50ish realm.

Please advise.

Appreciatively yours,

S. Potter

(shrug) before i answer has this type of thing happened before, can it happen (without and error on her part) or am i reading it wrong ?

the bid information from the auction

bijou-desprit( 39) £56.00

02-Jul-12 07:09:40 BST

--

Send invoice

More actions

angeltibetan( 179) £55.00

06-Jul-12 14:32:31 BST

-- Send second chance offer

angeltibetan( 179) £33.00

06-Jul-12 14:32:12 BST

angeltibetan( 179) £26.00

06-Jul-12 14:29:40 BST

angeltibetan( 179) £17.00

06-Jul-12 14:29:27 BST

angeltibetan( 179) £7.72

06-Jul-12 14:29:15 BST

wag-more( 2444) £3.50

02-Jul-12 06:25:20 BST

bijou-desprit( 39) £3.00

30-Jun-12 20:19:34 BST

-- --

angeltibetan( 179) £2.00

30-Jun-12 18:36:30 BST

Starting Price £0.99

26-Jun-12 16:01:11 BST

If I were you dooly, I would cut her loose and offer it to the second place bidder. It's not worth fighting her for 1 quid!

It only happens by design, meaning the bidder knew what they were doing.

As nunfa0 suggested, let this one off the hook and offer the item to the second place bidder.

And block the winning bidder so they can't bid in your auctions anymore.

Sorry dooly I don't speak Quebexican, but I agree with nunfa0, if she's paying you with squid I wouldn't waste your time.

Nick

But at what price do you offer the second chance? If it wasn't for his messed up proxy bid angeltibetan would have won it for potentially a lot less than £55.00

Knowing now that bijou-desprit was artificially driving this up, I would offer the item to angeltibetan at less than £55. Yes, based on the bidding history, angeltibetan made several individual attempts to get the high bidder position, but in my opinion it was artificial because she/he was competing against a person with no intent to pay.

Were there not this "accidental" bid by bijou, this button would have likely gone for £20-30 (or less). I would offer it to angeltibetan at £25.

Link to the item bid history

Just my 2 cents as an outsider looking in....

EDIT: I just noticed that you have sold two similar items to this one recently, and neither sold for anywhere near £55. Knowing this reaffirms my opinion that it should 1) be offered at less than £55 to angeltibetan or 2) be reposted and marked as a "failure to pay" item so you avoid fees. Link

2) be reposted and marked as a "failure to pay" item so you avoid fees.

This is probably the best route. If you offer at £55 to angetibetian, you may be accused of using the deadbeat bidder as a shill. I would also block bijou-desprit.

I'm not exactly following who was the bidder who backed out, but if I am reading it correctly it appears that bijou-desprit is the flake and angeltibetan was the underbidder. If one takes away the bids by bijou-deprit then it appears angeltibetan won the item for one bid increment above wag-more, which is far less than the item closed. I would relist.

Knowing now that bijou-desprit was artificially driving this up, I would offer the item to angeltibetan at less than £55. Yes, based on the bidding history, angeltibetan made several individual attempts to get the high bidder position, but in my opinion it was artificial because she/he was competing against a person with no intent to pay.

Were there not this "accidental" bid by bijou, this button would have likely gone for £20-30 (or less). I would offer it to angeltibetan at £25.

Link to the item bid history

Just my 2 cents as an outsider looking in....

EDIT: I just noticed that you have sold two similar items to this one recently, and neither sold for anywhere near £55. Knowing this reaffirms my opinion that it should 1) be offered at less than £55 to angeltibetan or 2) be reposted and marked as a "failure to pay" item so you avoid fees. Link

I did not Question the price as i seen this one listed lately

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Antique-hand-tinted-photo-button-Dog-Springer-Spaniel-c-1900-10-gold-rim-/180909031584?pt=UK_Crafts_Buttons_EH&hash=item2a1f04c0a0#ht_500wt_1182

I'm not exactly following who was the bidder who backed out, but if I am reading it correctly it appears that bijou-desprit is the flake and angeltibetan was the underbidder. If one takes away the bids by bijou-deprit then it appears angeltibetan won the item for one bid increment above wag-more, which is far less than the item closed. I would relist.

yes think this the best option because I still do not know what the highest bidders real actual bid was meant to be ?

Still ROFL at the title of this thread......

Good one Dooly.......

I would let the winner off the hook and re-list in two months when the item is 'Fresh'.......

Paul

yes think this the best option because I still do not know what the highest bidders real actual bid was meant to be ?

If bijou-desprit didn't mean to bid 56, then his last bid was 34 and was outbid by angeltibetan with a bid of 55.

And FYI, Canadians speak French.

If bijou-desprit didn't mean to bid 56, then his last bid was 34 and was outbid by angeltibetan with a bid of 55.

JStull, try to read the bidding history again.

bijou-desprit only bid twice: once at £3, and another time at £56 (or likely higher -- we don't know -- the system auto-incremented to £56 because of the 2nd highest bid of £55).

All of the intermittent bids by angeltibetan were an attempt to take the lead from the AUTO-matic incremental bids of bijou-desprit. This kind of bidding pattern by angeltibetan is similar to what people do when they are trying to find the reserve price of items on eBay. Notice that angeltibetan's last 5 bids are about 30 seconds apart from one another, until she/he final gave up 1.5 hours before the item auction closed.

As messydesk also mentioned, this kind of bidding is reminiscent of shill bidding. In this case, we know that isn't happening.

Knowing what I know now, I would block bijou-desprit from further auctions, and I would report it as a "buyer failed to pay" status item. I would then relist the item, and send a nice note to angeltibetan briefly describing that the auction was relisted because the high bidder had entered an incorrect high amount, and thus angeltibetan's many higher bids were trying to catch a "moon money" false bidder.

Good luck in solving this.

Good analysis. Send note of explanation to angeltibetan, block bijou-despirit (obviously will not own up to their automatic proxy bid) note buyer failed to pay and relist.

Dooly, you do seem to be running into some strange bidders recently. :kidaround:

Carl

Sounds like some good advice dooly, I think the re-list makes the most sense

bijou-desprit only bid twice: once at £3, and another time at £56 (or likely higher -- we don't know -- the system auto-incremented to £56 because of the 2nd highest bid of £55).

I see more than two bids from bijou-desprit. In the bidding history for the item, bijou-desprit is u***p(39), and we know this because his bid of 56 was the winning bid.

His first bid was 2.20, he then bid 3.00, then 3.70, then 8.22, 18.00, 27.00, 34.00, and his final bid, which won the auction, 56.00.

u***p( 39) GBP 56.00

Jul-01-12 23:09:40 PDT

t***i( 179) GBP 55.00

Jul-06-12 06:32:31 PDT

u***p( 39 ) GBP 34.00

t***i( 179) GBP 33.00

Jul-06-12 06:32:12 PDT

u***p( 39 ) GBP 27.00

t***i( 179) GBP 26.00

Jul-06-12 06:29:40 PDT

u***p( 39 ) GBP 18.00

t***i( 179) GBP 17.00

Jul-06-12 06:29:27 PDT

u***p( 39 ) GBP 8.22

t***i( 179) GBP 7.72

Jul-06-12 06:29:15 PDT

u***p( 39 ) GBP 3.70

w***g( 2447) GBP 3.50

Jul-01-12 22:25:20 PDT

w***g( 2447 ) GBP 3.20

u***p( 39) GBP 3.00

Jun-30-12 12:19:34 PDT

u***p( 39 ) GBP 2.20

t***i( 179) GBP 2.00

Jun-30-12 10:36:30 PDT

t***i( 179 ) GBP 0.99

Good analysis. Send note of explanation to angeltibetan, block bijou-despirit (obviously will not own up to their automatic proxy bid) note buyer failed to pay and relist.

Dooly, you do seem to be running into some strange bidders recently. :kidaround:

Carl

to right .. it is becoming more and more hassle .. i actually think we are breeding thicker and thicker people .. thats one of the reasons i am putting less and less information about an item on my listings A because ether lol they do not read it anyway or they look for the smallest fault in your description and bash you about the head with it or try and extort you when they get it at the other end ..

All of the intermittent bids by angeltibetan were an attempt to take the lead from the AUTO-matic incremental bids of bijou-desprit. This kind of bidding pattern by angeltibetan is similar to what people do when they are trying to find the reserve price of items on eBay. Notice that angeltibetan's last 5 bids are about 30 seconds apart from one another, until she/he final gave up 1.5 hours before the item auction closed.

As messydesk also mentioned, this kind of bidding is reminiscent of shill bidding. In this case, we know that isn't happening.

Knowing what I know now, I would block bijou-desprit from further auctions, and I would report it as a "buyer failed to pay" status item. I would then relist the item, and send a nice note to angeltibetan briefly describing that the auction was relisted because the high bidder had entered an incorrect high amount, and thus angeltibetan's many higher bids were trying to catch a "moon money" false bidder.

Good luck in solving this.

I agree, this is exactly what I would do if I were selling myself. It is both honest and above board.

I have just contacted the under-bidder to keep them informed and to say it will be re-listed once the case is closed on the winning bidder

the 39 feedback person bid twice

GBP 3.00 Jun-30-12 12:19:34 PDT

and after getting outbid

GBP XXXX Jul-01-12 23:09:40 PDT

all increments after were eBays proxy bid taking over

I suspect they meant to bid 6.00 or something like that

and it was entered as 60.00 or something like that (extra zero)

let them loose and relist

I see more than two bids from bijou-desprit. In the bidding history for the item, bijou-desprit is u***p(39), and we know this because his bid of 56 was the winning bid.

His first bid was 2.20, he then bid 3.00, then 3.70, then 8.22, 18.00, 27.00, 34.00, and his final bid, which won the auction, 56.00.

u***p( 39) GBP 56.00

t***i( 179) GBP 55.00

Jul-06-12 06:32:31 PDT

u***p( 39 ) GBP 34.00

t***i( 179) GBP 33.00

Jul-06-12 06:32:12 PDT

u***p( 39 ) GBP 27.00

t***i( 179) GBP 26.00

Jul-06-12 06:29:40 PDT

u***p( 39 ) GBP 18.00

t***i( 179) GBP 17.00

Jul-06-12 06:29:27 PDT

u***p( 39 ) GBP 8.22

t***i( 179) GBP 7.72

Jul-06-12 06:29:15 PDT

u***p( 39 ) GBP 3.70

w***g( 2447) GBP 3.50

w***g( 2447 ) GBP 3.20

u***p( 39) GBP 3.00

u***p( 39 ) GBP 2.20

t***i( 179) GBP 2.00

t***i( 179 ) GBP 0.99

JStull, maybe you are just not very familiar with the eBay bidding system. There are 2 bids by bijou-desprit (as I previously said). The two bids are 3 pounds (posted on 30Jun at 12:19:34) and a 2nd bid at 56 pounds or higher (posted on 1Jul at 23:09:40). ALL of the other in between bids by bijou-desprit (the ones that show up as gray on the link to eBay) are automatic-bids incremented by the eBay bidding system.

The time stamps associated with bids are the important thing to note. Based on your logic, bijou-desprit placed the high bid of 56 pounds 5 days before the 2nd highest bid of 55 pounds. ;)