• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sometimes you Just Have to LOOK posted by www.silvercitycollectibles.com

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A lazy rainy afternoon looking in an old box of coins always

has a surprise or two ........

I was digging around in an old box of ANACS and PCI coins this afternoon and discovered a couple semi-treasures I did not realize that I had including the one pictured: An ANACS 1934-D DDO Large ( Filled ) D Variety in AU-55 which just recently began appearing in the Red Book as an established variety ( the large filled D being the tougher sub-variety as there is the slightly more common DDO with a smaller D mintmark ) .

I also discovered a 1963-D PCI Franklin Half in MS-65 which is clearly a D/D mintmark and maybe a D/D/D and a 1884-O PCI Morgan Dollar MS-65 which is clearly the tougher O/O mintmark and one 1881-S PCI Morgan MS-66 which surprisingly looks the grade .

There were several other MS-65 common date Morgans too boot .

So all in all some interesting finds to line up for future NGC submission .

It is I think wise for any collector to take the time to look for varieties even when looking over NGC and PCGS coins ...as once in a while something gets missed . If you are a Peace collector check out any of your 1934-D's for the DDO variety which is worth significantly more than a regualr coin . The doubling appears most prominent on " In God We Trust " .

Happy Collecting !!

11610.JPG

See more journals by http://www.silvercitycollectibles.com