• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Banned from PCGS

172 posts in this topic

[

The use of "alts" always troubled me. Once PCGS booted me off the boards, I never looked back, and sure as blazes never had an "alt". If you're not wanted - you're not wanted!

This was my only point all along but I forgot that I was speaking to the land of misfit toys who took offense to being rejected and they decided to try on their big brothers boots.

And for the people blaming others for them being banned, that is a farce as well. Not taking responsibility for ones actions such being a punk and getting banned for breaking rules and then breaking the rules again and coming back. I didn't do any of that and while I will admit the rules are a little stiff and a hand full of good guys got shown the proverbial door, most of the ones removed were than "less than value adds" like FUFU or what ever.

As to anyone (read fake internet tough guys) wanting to meet up with me at a show. It just so happen that I will be spending all day at Baltimore tomorrow. Please feel free to ask around for John Coyle, I am not hard to find.

Do you know why I was banned? If not shut your mouth or give me the opportunity to shut if for you.

If you have the balls to slander me on the forums PLEASE do it in person. Ill meet you anywhere you tell me to. Will you be at Baltimore this weekend? Will you be in Philly? Parsippany? Just let me know where youd like to meet to hash this out, ill be there.

Wow! I understand anger and 'internet muscles', but this response will show exactly how far you can go here, what can and can't be said, and will push the envelope and show that this forum isn't like an 'open forum', and that this forum is not exactly 100% lenient and everything you say, you are bulletproof. I got the boot here for a month for getting into it with a certain member with a 3 lettered name, who's booted everywhere, even from some shows, who noone likes, but I don't believe either one of us, in a thread, went this far. There'll always be CoinTalk when this post more than likely gets you booted from here, whether it be a 30 day or permanent boot. An actual physical challenge.....I hate to say it, but that crosses the line even here.

I made no physical threats or challenges. Offered to figure out the problems in person. If he can slander me here he can do it in my face. Hes the one hiding behind the internet muscles.

He didn't slander you.

How do you know he didnt read what he typed out loud?

Even if he had, that still wouldn't have been slander. You should look it up and make sure you understand it and that it applies, before throwing the word around indiscriminately and incorrectly.

If you wish to wage war with other posters, please do so on the "NGC Fights Forum", not here.

;)

Would you prefer I use the term talking ?

I doubt that you care what I prefer. But if you do, I prefer that you take your battles private.

lol...He came here and started with us. Why isnt he getting the scolding from MarkFeld? Another guy with a free pass?

lol...He came here and started with us. Why isnt he getting the scolding from MarkFeld? Another guy with a free pass?

I don't think that Mark was taking sides at all necessarily. He just said that Crypto didn't slander you. The word "slander" has a very precise legal meaning, and I agree with him that he didn't slander you. I don't appreciate his [John Coyle's] attitude either, but I just ignore him. His posts show him for what he truly is.

As an aside, I lost respect for him when he made nasty comments to a poster ATS (in fair disclosure it was me) because he disagreed with one tiny aspect of my assessment over a coin. His response was uncalled for and rude. Moreover, our positions weren't actually that different - with both agreed that the referenced coin wasn't a genuine U.S. Mint product but he had his preferred terminology. Also, there was no debate - his comment appeared from nowhere and was completely unprovoked. He strikes me as someone who may have a serious personality disorder.

Edited to clarify.

This thread shows the dirty little downside I have noticed about numismatics......"egos".

People get their undies all twisted when they want to go on a rant and someone doesn't agree with them. They try to garner the herd mentality and "lead" the herd, but get even more upset when that doesn't work.

It is often "their way" or you are "against them".

There are people that are new and learning, yet, some of them like to come across as experts. There are people that have been around and know a lot, yet like to set themselves in stone as if others can't offer anything helpful or that they are the last bastion of information and anyone who disagrees is ignorant (at best).

It is shown in many many threads. I learned a long time ago to filter it out and to truly find the ones who knew what they were talking about, and aren't ego driven, and to ignore 90% of the others. No need to challenge them, easier to just ignore them.

However, it appears that many people, particularly in this thread and almost any that starts with a rant about PCGS/bannings, can't ignore things and feel they have to challenge and put a "us vs them" spin on it.

Take mumu's current rant just above......talking about "he came here and started it with us". "US?" Why not be honest and say, at best, that he "started it with a very small, loud, group"? More likely is that Crypto replied to less than a handful, and a few of that handful feel safer and more secure in wrapping the "US" blanket around them for protection.

Why get heated up over what someone posts? I used to, then I thought about it and realized that (1) I am an adult and not a child (2) I don't care what anyone on the internet, particularly those I don't know, posts in response to what I post (3) Some people post things just to poke (troll) at others, and (4) it's an environment and one should learn to adapt to an environment. If you try to make the environment change to map to you, then it isn't the same environment. All environments will change over time, but changing them to fit you doesn't necessarily make them better. An ex-PCGS poster tried that with a "24hours" ... after some folks got frustrated by the removal of the open forum on the PCGS boards. He/they didn't like the censorship and tightening of the rules, so a new, non-PCGS forum was created. At first, it was all great. Then, its own warts were discovered and people left in droves, after many attacks and bannings there.

If the environment doesn't suit you, just move on. Not that hard to understand, but obviously difficult to do, just like stopping smoking is hard for folks.

All the above ramble aside, I think that most of the time the board gets riled up comes from very few situations:

(A) Some new person comes on and wants to act better than others and then spam the boards with their goods or a "new" forum they run somewhere

(B) A 'veteran' poster disagrees with some posting and both sides dig in their heels and sides are drawn.

© Someone is banned from PCGS and attacks against PCGS, the bannings, and how they were banned get brought up, over and over, as the scars are still there, and then a few folks that are more level headed chime in that sometimes the bannings were justified (not always, but sometimes), that PCGS posters aren't bad folks and many of them, in fact, read/post here as well.

Also fun to watch are the posts that the people here are so nice and friendly while the PCGS posters are full of bile and hatred at the drop of a hat....yet, we have threads like this going on here (an, don't blame Crypto for it....too many "NGC only" posters have spun this thread downward. Maybe there was a reason that some of the folks got banned at PCGS? Hmmmmm?

Most noticeable is that, of all those that got banned and post here, I really only notice one who doesn't repeatedly bring up their own banning (which, imho, was handled poorly and the person should NOT have been banned, but someone else's ego and misunderstand did them in). Most of the others feel that they always need to re-hash how they were innocently banned....some were, just for posting at the wrong time and in a way that was, previously, "acceptable" but was still borderline, at best. Maybe some day, they will lose the need to feel they have to bring it up each and every time a new banning thread is created here.

George V wasn't daft --- that was George III, wasn't it? (Anyway, George III was German.)

Brilliant dooly!! Distract them with shiny things or confuse them with darkside coins.

This thread shows the dirty little downside I have noticed about numismatics......"egos".

People get their undies all twisted when they want to go on a rant and someone doesn't agree with them. They try to garner the herd mentality and "lead" the herd, but get even more upset when that doesn't work.

It is often "their way" or you are "against them".

There are people that are new and learning, yet, some of them like to come across as experts. There are people that have been around and know a lot, yet like to set themselves in stone as if others can't offer anything helpful or that they are the last bastion of information and anyone who disagrees is ignorant (at best).

It is shown in many many threads. I learned a long time ago to filter it out and to truly find the ones who knew what they were talking about, and aren't ego driven, and to ignore 90% of the others. No need to challenge them, easier to just ignore them.

However, it appears that many people, particularly in this thread and almost any that starts with a rant about PCGS/bannings, can't ignore things and feel they have to challenge and put a "us vs them" spin on it.

Take mumu's current rant just above......talking about "he came here and started it with us". "US?" Why not be honest and say, at best, that he "started it with a very small, loud, group"? More likely is that Crypto replied to less than a handful, and a few of that handful feel safer and more secure in wrapping the "US" blanket around them for protection.

Why get heated up over what someone posts? I used to, then I thought about it and realized that (1) I am an adult and not a child (2) I don't care what anyone on the internet, particularly those I don't know, posts in response to what I post (3) Some people post things just to poke (troll) at others, and (4) it's an environment and one should learn to adapt to an environment. If you try to make the environment change to map to you, then it isn't the same environment. All environments will change over time, but changing them to fit you doesn't necessarily make them better. An ex-PCGS poster tried that with a "24hours" ... after some folks got frustrated by the removal of the open forum on the PCGS boards. He/they didn't like the censorship and tightening of the rules, so a new, non-PCGS forum was created. At first, it was all great. Then, its own warts were discovered and people left in droves, after many attacks and bannings there.

If the environment doesn't suit you, just move on. Not that hard to understand, but obviously difficult to do, just like stopping smoking is hard for folks.

All the above ramble aside, I think that most of the time the board gets riled up comes from very few situations:

(A) Some new person comes on and wants to act better than others and then spam the boards with their goods or a "new" forum they run somewhere

(B) A 'veteran' poster disagrees with some posting and both sides dig in their heels and sides are drawn.

© Someone is banned from PCGS and attacks against PCGS, the bannings, and how they were banned get brought up, over and over, as the scars are still there, and then a few folks that are more level headed chime in that sometimes the bannings were justified (not always, but sometimes), that PCGS posters aren't bad folks and many of them, in fact, read/post here as well.

Also fun to watch are the posts that the people here are so nice and friendly while the PCGS posters are full of bile and hatred at the drop of a hat....yet, we have threads like this going on here (an, don't blame Crypto for it....too many "NGC only" posters have spun this thread downward. Maybe there was a reason that some of the folks got banned at PCGS? Hmmmmm?

Most noticeable is that, of all those that got banned and post here, I really only notice one who doesn't repeatedly bring up their own banning (which, imho, was handled poorly and the person should NOT have been banned, but someone else's ego and misunderstand did them in). Most of the others feel that they always need to re-hash how they were innocently banned....some were, just for posting at the wrong time and in a way that was, previously, "acceptable" but was still borderline, at best. Maybe some day, they will lose the need to feel they have to bring it up each and every time a new banning thread is created here.

I agree with you regarding the "us" versus "them" mentality (in reference to the posting community); however, I think Crypto's behavior everywhere (directed towards members across the street and now apparent here) is the source of controversy. Because I agree with you about moving on and letting things go, I do not intend to post again on this subject matter.

On a related note:

Alt usage at PCGS

jom

I suspect that DonWillis is an alt for homerunhall, but don't really care and find this odd coming from top management ->

There are some emotionally crippled people who like to brag about their ALTs on other forums. To them this is a game.

There is a reason these people are ALTs and not regular members. They are the ones who ruin these boards and jeopardize their continued existence.

I suspect that DonWillis is an alt for homerunhall, but don't really care and find this odd coming from top management ->

There are some emotionally crippled people who like to brag about their ALTs on other forums. To them this is a game.

There is a reason these people are ALTs and not regular members. They are the ones who ruin these boards and jeopardize their continued existence.

Homerunhall is David Hall. That is not an alt for DonWillis.

I made an alt to reply to all of the PM's I was getting on my banned account. I still have access to see my PM's. Frankly, I dont think I ruined the boards and added a good deal to them. But the ego of Don Willis is beyond me. I have no interest in returning where I am not valued, and when I was banned for an absolustely RIDICULOUS reason.

After how I was treated, I have cancelled my membership there as well. They will not see another dime from me.

Homerunhall is David Hall. That is not an alt for DonWillis.

I made an alt to reply to all of the PM's I was getting on my banned account. I still have access to see my PM's. Frankly, I dont think I ruined the boards and added a good deal to them. But the ego of Don Willis is beyond me. I have no interest in returning where I am not valued, and when I was banned for an absolustely RIDICULOUS reason.

After how I was treated, I have cancelled my membership there as well. They will not see another dime from me.

But how do you really know? The CEO and President may use the accounts interchangably - just like they said since you may have used someones elses laptop or they posted a listing for you, then the other account must be an alt for you - by the way, do you feel emotionally crippled.

Not many top management in big companys respond this way, I can think of Kenneth Lay from ENRON - can you think of more?

Don't worry, "us" can infer as few as 2 people. It doesnt mean "everyone". I wouldnt dare imply you are in my lowly class of peon. If Mark could confirm the official definition that'd be great.

wowzers, it got so serious around here. Funny thing is I never see any tough guys at the coins shows I go to, mostly old guys and balding middle age men. I guess I go to the wrong coin shows

I'll have you know that I have a full head of hair!! :cool:

I've never been banned but I got a "final warning" once. When you get banned ATS, do they they have the common courtesy to send you a message explaining why you were banned? If not, how do you find out?

I made an alt to reply to all of the PM's I was getting on my banned account. I still have access to see my PM's.

How is this even possible when you can not log in once banned hm

I've never been banned but I got a "final warning" once. When you get banned ATS, do they they have the common courtesy to send you a message explaining why you were banned? If not, how do you find out?

No they don't. I was banned with no warning. I called and had to speak with Don to ask why. It was because I got into it with IN.

Broadstruck: if you're still logged in with Internet cookies, you can see your PMs.

When you get banned ATS, do they they have the common courtesy to send you a message explaining why you were banned? If not, how do you find out?

No they don't. How do you find out? Well you find that you are not logged in and when you try to log in you find out that that your login is not valid anymore.

Nice to know that Don thinks I was trying to ruin the forum by answering newbies questions. Guess it's to PCGS's advantage to keep them ignorant.