• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disappointed with CAC results

31 posts in this topic

It's very clearly stated on CAC's website that coins that are strong for the grade given by the TPG will receive a CAC sticker, or bean. Apparently, CAC disagrees with the grades on the labels of the ones they failed.

From my understanding, CAC probably actually agrees with the grade(s), but doesn't consider the coins PQ for the grade.

James, without having seen the coins or heard direct feedback from CAC, why would that be your understanding? Unless I am missing something, you are guessing (blindly), rather than "understanding". ;)

Mark, for me the arithmetic is pretty simple. I feel 85% of all certified coins are properly graded, and if the OP was selective, we can guess that maybe 9/10 were.

My understanding is that a coin can be properly graded at an A, B, or C level. An "A" level warrants a sticker for being properly graded AND of premium quality (according to whatever CAC uses as a metric). B and C coins don't get a sticker, but that is not a "fail" for meeting the grade, but rather a "fail" for not meeting a premium ("A" level) for the grade.

Have I misunderstood that dynamic all this time????

So if we can safely guess that 9 of the coins were properly graded, but only 4 got a sticker, that leaves 5 that are no-sticker/properly graded, and to my understanding, John Albanese is generally in agreement with TPG grading standards.

(Note that my original statement invoked "probably", meaning I suspect the ODDS are that CAC agreed with the B/C level grades on the 6 coins in question. In fact, I think the odds are 5/6 per coin.)

I wouldn't buy that CBH as an AU58, but it doesn't mean that the greater market might not value it as an AU58.

Unfortunately, in my experience, there are virtually no CBHs graded AU-58 that should be so graded. Rather, a considerable portion of the MS-61s and 62s should be in AU-58 holders, and what are currently AU-58s should be moved to the lower AU levels.

... all wishful thinking on my part!

James, according to CAC, both A and B coins get sticked, just not C coins.

Regardless, while the statistical odds might indicate that CAC will agree with the grade of a given coin, that tells us nothing about CAC's actual opinion of that specific coin.