• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If You Owned a Top Tier Grading Service, Would You...

20 posts in this topic

From a business standpoint you'd obviously want to encourage. From an ethical standpoint, I'd encourage re-submissions on blatantly misgraded coins or coins that have turned or degraded in their holders.

I guess if one were to give the perception that a certain percentage of resubmissions would yield benefits to the client then that would be the way to go.

I guess if one were to give the perception that a certain percentage of resubmissions would yield benefits to the client then that would be the way to go.

1+

Would you encourage or discourage the re-submission of coins you've already graded?
Encourage how? Not sure I understand.

Discounts?

Lance.

encourage

as i would hire some fool as the spokesperson for the service to publically state that we here at the slab factory want every coin in the highest graded holder possible without overgrading

evenmoreso the above if i was a publically traded company

Would you encourage or discourage the re-submission of coins you've already graded?

I would raise grading fees substantially and hire more and more-proficient graders.

From a business standpoint you'd obviously want to encourage. From an ethical standpoint, I'd encourage re-submissions on blatantly misgraded coins or coins that have turned or degraded in their holders.
i totally agree with that

I would raise grading fees substantially and hire more and more-proficient graders.

I would love to see them spend more time on the coins.

Any low serial number coins in slabs that are nicer than current market grading standards would be candidates for resubmission. That is if the coin price difference justifies the submission cost.

Their should be no reason to encourage re-submission if the coins were graded correctly the first time around.......

That's just it, they aren't always graded correctly; and that can mean too high or too low.

No doubt, encouraging resubmittals is the way to go for the business. The hard part is making your customers want to spend their money multiple times on the same coin, and it doesn't have to be looking to max out the grade one has been assigned. If you're smart from a marketing perspective, you'll catch collector's attention by the changes you introduce so they'll want to spend the money and try multiple times with an already graded coin.

Some good examples:

New strike designations

> 5 Steps and 6 Steps where there used to be only Full Steps for Jeffersons

> Full Torch for Roosevelt Dime

New attributes

> * or +, anyone?

The Registry Game

> How about an Everyman designation?

New slab designs and especially, new labels for this or that release

And so on and so forth...

I'm not saying it's bad, but you have to give the TPG's credit for continually finding new wrinkles in an old hobby. What will be the next strike designation or attribute...it's only a matter of time before they come up with something new.

It would seem to me if you encouraged having coins regraded, you would be implying a couple of things, 1. that your prior grading was substandard or 2. that by having them re-graded they would be getting better results than before. Why would you offer to do what you did a second time. I understand the profit side, but if your reputation is on the line and you get substantial changes up or down somebody would be unhappy. For example, you send in a coin and it grades higher, you are happy, me the owner, mgr of the grading company says" we screwed up on that before" or you send in and it grades lower, you say thats BS and are pissed, the grading company says"we screwed up on that before" or you send in comes back the same you say "I wasted my money" grading company says "whew, got that right" I don't see the upside. Unhappy people cause business to go bad

Just insist it comes back in your plastic so you can put the same grade on it so you won't look inconsistent over time, as that would be bad for business.