• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The latest addition to my herd!

18 posts in this topic

I just received this coin today. It is graded MS-66* by NGC and according to the current NGC pop. report, it is one of only three 1935d buffalo to have been given the star in any grade.

518003-1935d%20obv2.jpg518004-1935d%20rev2.jpg

The coin has an excellent strike, and the color and luster on this coin are absolutely unbelievable! The toning is iridescent, and shows pastel shades of rose, light purple, pink, orange, yellow, and mint green that shine up from beneath the surface of the coin with a metallic sheen. cloud9.gif

John

I just received this coin today. It is graded MS-66* by NGC and according to the current NGC pop. report, it is the only 1935d buffalo to have been given the star in any grade.

518003-1935d%20obv2.jpg518004-1935d%20rev2.jpg

The coin has an excellent strike, and the color and luster on this coin are absolutely unbelievable! The toning is iridescent, and shows pastel shades of rose, light purple, pink, orange, yellow, and mint green that shine up from beneath the surface of the coin with a metallic sheen. cloud9.gif

John

Wanna trade? wink.gif VN!

Leo

I officially hate you now John.

(I'll make more relevant comments later, but I have to recover and perhaps undergo shock treatment first.)

Hoot

John - Now hat I have a bit more of a moment, and have recovered from my jealousy-induced apnea and mental despondence, I thought I'd take a moment to be more thoughtful with this outrageously beautiful coin you have.

When I take a moment to look beyond the toning, what I see is a nearly perfectly struck '35-D. This is exceptionally rare for that issue. In both 1934 and 1935, the Denver Mint did one or both of the following to the nickel dies: 1) they did not harden the annealed dies properly (dies were shipped softened from Philadelphia as a protective measure if they were stolen); 2) they did not adjust the strike pressure properly. Either way, what you have for most of the nickels from Denver in '34 and '35 is weak central detail and mushy lettering and details, especially where they meet the fields. Your coin possesses none of the typical strike weaknesses of the '35-D. That, more than anything else, makes your coin very special in my eyes.

The devices worthy of attention are the central hair/hair knot details and the details of the bison's mane across the shoulder. Those details are weak, even in most MS65 and 66 pieces. Also, the hip detail and the hind leg of the bison are often soft and malformed. Your coin's are nearly perfect. Indeed, detail-wise, I see not reason your coin could not have graded MS67 for that particular issue. With some issues, MS66 is a general upper limit, e.g., the 1934-D (no 67's) and the 1921 (only a handful of 67's). Some superb pieces may be found in the Ms66 range, but they are very few and far between. Yours is one of them. Only a few light chatter marks can be seen in the hair above the hair knot and on the bison's front left leg. They may be grade limiting, but only you can tell, as you have the coin in person.

Of course, the luster can't be seen in the photo, but it appears superb. That may also make or break a 1930s coin from MS67 to MS66. The color and superbdetail obviously give this coin the edge for the *star* designation.

Congratulations, John. That's a great coin.

Mark