• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Addition posted by hunter's gold

16 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Great Collections coin auction

Hi everyone. Last night I was following some coins on several of the auction sites. I saw this particular example NGC MS67RB 1963 Lincoln Memorial on the Great Collections auction site and notice that no one was really tracking this coin. I normally would not buy a red brown example of a coin for my competitive set but since I needed to upgrade from my current MS66RD example I could not resist. I ended up being the only bidder on this coin and for $100 and with $13.50 in fees the total was $113.50. Not to bad for this coin. There are only 13 examples graded in MS67 with 12 being Red and this lone example graded Red Brown. Of course I have been looking for a red example but the prices recently have been way above market average so for now this example will stay put in my collection. Considering the lone example on Ebay I can find at $1250 asking price I think I did pretty good. Registry point value is only about 22 points less than if this was a true red example. The coin exhibits very nice detail strike and only slightly on the red/brown side. I also like Great Collections because of the low buyer fees and shipping cost. That is all for now. Next month I will be adding 2 new coins to this collection that are truly over the top. Can't say anything more until then about them. As always, thanks for looking and Happy Collecting

11513.jpg

See more journals by hunter's gold

Until i have this coin in hand I can't give you a proper response on the scratches. Probably a few on the slab for sure. The other 2 coins I mentioned are both Lincoln Memorial Business Strikes that just posted to the population report last week. One is a population 3 with the example I am adding being the 3rd graded at MS69RD and the other is a population 1 at MS69RD. Until I have everything finalized on them I cannot add them to my set.

congratulation on this coin this one deserve a * in my opinion and yes the prices for high grade are way too high but you still can find good deal if you spend a lot of time looking for them, i get lucky this weekend i pick up 3 pre 1930s wheat in ms 66 rd for 1/2 fmv, when i received them i will post a journal.

Hunter, You keep buying those SWEET pennies and we are going to have to figure out how to get those intercept shield storage boxes you are looking for.

I did think of something yesterday--- Send a message to Teletrade,Heritage,and Great Collections and see if they have any in a storage closet that coins were shipped there in --- to auction.

Ya Never Know----

Hunters gold, you have everyone blown out of the water by a long shot in the registry! The closest person to you is 20k pts away and they have 100% completion while your not even done yet!

Do you have any interest into moving to wheaties?

The other people BELOW hunter's gold have every chance to beat him, they just aren't putting in the effort that he is. I look at what Hunter's gold is doing and feel he must be doing something right. Acquiring the best takes more patience than money, although it does help to have the money WHEN the coin you need/want comes up for sale.

In summary: If you put in the time you will be rewarded. :banana:

mkman123, I actually had a complete set of MS67RD Wheaties minus the 55 Double Die that I sold awhile back to help finance this set. I will eventually start a new set but for now just concentrating on the Lincoln Memorials.

hunters gold, no I don't have a wheaties collection just wondering if you were gonna do another set once you finish your memorial set

You use to have a MS67 red wheaty set? The 09s vdb, 22 no D and 14D in 67 red or do you mean a short set?

I'm not a big penny guy. What's the fascination with red? Any other denomination, toning can add value ... is this some leftover habit from the 1930's when everyone dipped their pennies and pretended that they were pristine because that's what the nutso employees did at the mint with their proof coins for decades??

I like your RB and think it has more character than most RD.