• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mercs are so frusterating

34 posts in this topic

Rome wasn't built in a day........but I do know about impatience. I am, however, learning to take more time, as building a set is a lifetime endeavor. :)

Slow and steady wins the race----just don't quit!!

I understand your a dime fan, but id rather buy a few nice coins than a merc dime set. Maybe a decent 1792 Half Disme and a 1794 Half dime.

On the bright side you could work on a gem mint toned Walker set :cry:

MJ

Just remembering why I took a break from this series...... 1/4 Million for a MS65FB set....... :(

If you bought the MS65 non FB version of a handful of dates, the cost would be much lower.

On the bright side you could work on a gem mint toned Walker set :cry:

MJ

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!! Early dates---forget about it!!! MJ and I know about that!!! Consider yourself LUCKY ;)

just do the best you can. Sometimes you may never ever get a MS65 FSB set like some with $$$$$ can but you can still be proud of what you have!!!!!!

I am working on an XF/AU Bust Half set. Much easier and very enjoyable!

Me too. Speaking of which, you should sell me some of your uglier ones - like that 1814 from the Frederick collection. Do you really want tarnished, worn halves like that?

There isn't a collector alive who doesn't have dreams that are bigger than their pocketbook. Set a per coin budget that is within your means and buy the best coin possible within that budget. You'll be surprised by the quality of your collection if you stick with it. For example, I set a $200/coin budget for my Morgan Dollar collection with the exception of the key dates. In a 105 coin collection, I was able to purchase 22 coins in MS-65 and 66 that averaged within that range. In MS-64 that number gets significantly higher. Over all, I should be able to complete the entire collection with 75% or so of the coins in mint-state condition. For my Carson City short set, I cheated a little and bought higher quality coins, but this does not make me any less proud to own a VG-10 1893-S Morgan since I'll never own an MS-65. I saw a beautiful MS-65 1916-D FB Mercury Dime for auction at Great Collections with a starting bid of $40,000. At that price this coin is way out of my budget as I guess that it is out of yours. However, I am thrilled to own an example of the much vaunted 1916-D Mercury Dime in AG-3 condition. With me, to own a key date in any condition puts me somewhat on par with whoever owns the MS-65 1893-S Morgan or the 1916-D Mercury Dime. You see its filling the hole in my collection that is important to me after condition.

Gary

There is a hidden agenda here...... Maybe there is a more obvious answer. Something that might cost about $200K cheaper, but is equally appealing...... And no Im not talking about a Roosie set :roflmao:

Forget the damn FBs....it isn't worth it. OR...just get the dates that don't have the big premiums in FB. Find the nicest strikes you can.. Then find eye-appealing coins which can be done. Don't worry about the grade "matching" just find nice coins for the grade.

I tried the FB for a very short time in the mid-90s. I gave up...too much dough and too many other coins I was interested in.

jom

Forget the damn FBs....it isn't worth it. OR...just get the dates that don't have the big premiums in FB. Find the nicest strikes you can.. Then find eye-appealing coins which can be done. Don't worry about the grade "matching" just find nice coins for the grade.

I tried the FB for a very short time in the mid-90s. I gave up...too much dough and too many other coins I was interested in.

jom

BINGO!!!!

1918D MS66 $1750 MS66FB $125,000 MS65 $950 MS65FB $20,000

1919S, 1919D, 1924S are all the same story. You can save $100,000 by buying the 1918D,1919S, 1919D, and the 1924S without FB.

jom

BINGO!!!!

1918D MS66 $1750 MS66FB $125,000 MS65 $950 MS65FB $20,000

1919S, 1919D, 1924S are all the same story. You can save $100,000 by buying the 1918D,1919S, 1919D, and the 1924S without FB.

That's when virtual full split bands come into play... Here's one of the remnants of when I was working on a non dipped MS63 near or full split band set up to 1931. Although not FB designated it's better then some 18-D's that have been. Merc's like this still require a premium, however they are reasonable compared to what your paying to have FB on the slab label.

10di8ea.jpg

Please remember that BY FAR the most important thing while collecting (a set) is just HAVE FUN!!!

An example of at least a "close" FB 19-S:

10c-19s-1.jpg

And a nice 18-S:

10c-18s.jpg

I mean...really...who's going to complain about the strike on these (save for the bands on the 18-S)?

jom

Great examples Jom!!!

Here is another 18-S with completely flat central bands but the rest of the coin is hammer struck. Its a MS66 which means there is about a $15,000 dollar difference in price for FB's lol

Screenshot2012-06-09at23103PM.png

Great examples Jom!!!

Here is another 18-S with completely flat central bands but the rest of the coin is hammer struck. Its a MS66 which means there is about a $15,000 dollar difference in price for FB's lol

Screenshot2012-06-09at23103PM.png

Nice one...and yeah the dollar difference is ridiculous. I've never been convinced these strike designations are worth what people pay. There's nothing wrong with the pursuit of these but they are way overvalued and overhyped IMO....

jom

If these cause you frustration, then switch to something else. When a hobby becomes an emotional obsession, and then becomes a money-based obsession, you have to disengage.

If these cause you frustration, then switch to something else. When a hobby becomes an emotional obsession, and then becomes a money-based obsession, you have to disengage.

Roger, surely and educated man like yourself can see through the BS and realize that the thread had a hidden agenda. The words you speak above are very true though.

Roger, surely and educated man like yourself can see through the BS and realize that the thread had a hidden agenda. The words you speak above are very true though.

What is your hidden agenda?

What is your hidden agenda?

To rule the world!!!! Go read Jom's first post. It's funny how much weight people put into a split band isnt it???

I liked the Beatles, but they split; so did the others I liked....the Boston Philharmonic had people split out too.....

Huz edjukatid? Ma gran pappy says thet iffin the good Lard hada wanted mens to be edjukatid he wood hav given em all thet to start wiff back in eden plac. gran pappy isnt never not rong!!!!!

I liked the Beatles, but they split; so did the others I liked....the Boston Philharmonic had people split out too.....

Huz edjukatid? Ma gran pappy says thet iffin the good Lard hada wanted mens to be edjukatid he wood hav given em all thet to start wiff back in eden plac. gran pappy isnt never not rong!!!!!

wel sed lol

Uh oh...I'm in trouble now...I actually understood what you said. :o

jom