• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1844 seated liberty 10c - guess the grade? GRADE IS IN FROM NGC

31 posts in this topic

It's in a no-problem older ANACS holder, bought as part of a large collection.

what do you think it grades?

IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

THANKS!

Johnny

No better than VF-20. It is original, but it's not that pretty. The shield looks like a VF-20. The rest of the obverse looks like a Fine.

I think the holder is bogus. Looks like a fake holder. Look at the word ANACS on the left. They were not that sloppy and they always had a grade on the coin.

I think the holder is bogus. Looks like a fake holder. Look at the word ANACS on the left. They were not that sloppy and they always had a grade on the coin.

Pic is photoshopped to hide the grade

Looks vf20, possible old cleaning? I know you said that it was problem free though. Did you photoshop out the grade? Is that why the date looks funny?

Yes I did :)

Coin is very dark, hard to capture all detail. But in hand it doesn't look cleaned to me.

If NGC agrees with most of you and calls it a VF i'd be very happy. A VF is a $500 coin that I got for close to nothing.

More guesses?

Both examples showed for comparison look close to my coin, but on my coin liberty looks stronger and details on the shield in general are better, in my opinion.

I decided to send it out to NGC anyways. With grading fees and everything, I would do good even if it grades F12.

Wil post ANACS grade and full slab pic tomorrow

Thank you so much for your opinions!

Johnny

I would do good even if it grades F12.

Please be careful with 1844 dimes. I've found that you have to pay 25% "back of bid" to come out ahead. Their value is overrated in every price guide I've seen.

It's far from a rare, or even scarce date. I've owned as many as six at one time, and that was because it was a struggle to sell them at a profit.

Here is a F12 in an old ANACS holder that looks close Link .

The topic coin has more detail then the F12 coin from Heritage.

That's why I called it a F15. The OP's coin has more detail, but not enough to make the VF threshold (at least not in my opinion).

ANACS graded VF20

it is on the way to NGC right now

Did you crack it out or send it still in the ANACS Holder.

I think it will cross at VF 20 either way .

ANACS graded VF20

it is on the way to NGC right now

Did you crack it out or send it still in the ANACS Holder.

I think it will cross at VF 20 either way .

I sent it in the anacs holder.

which makes no difference, i think; because when you send a non-pcgs holder they crack it BEFORE it gets to the grading room, and the graders get to look at it as a RAW coin.

i really hope you're right and it will end up in a VF holder!

thanks

No better than VF-20. It is original, but it's not that pretty. The shield looks like a VF-20. The rest of the obverse looks like a Fine.

Spot on, I agree.

Please be careful with 1844 dimes. I've found that you have to pay 25% "back of bid" to come out ahead. Their value is overrated in every price guide I've seen.

It's far from a rare, or even scarce date. I've owned as many as six at one time, and that was because it was a struggle to sell them at a profit.

I understand..

I Paid about 25% OF bid for it, not back of bid.

That's why I decided to take a chance and send to NGC instead of selling as is.

If it comes back F I'm still ahead :)

I don't think it's RARE, but it is a better date - $500 bid at VF!

I understand..

I Paid about 25% OF bid for it, not back of bid.

That's why I decided to take a chance and send to NGC instead of selling as is.

If it comes back F I'm still ahead :)

I don't think it's RARE, but it is a better date - $500 bid at VF!

(thumbs u

coin is on the way back from NGC

it was graded NGC F15

Congrats Jayman1970, Dudley the 1st, James_earlyUS & coinman_23885 for guessing the exact grade NGC gave it.

and thank you all for the guesses and opinions.

i'm very happy with the new grade

2581332-006 is the new verification number for this coin

johnny