• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In September 2006, I started collecting coins. This was one of my first..

18 posts in this topic

This was one of my first purchases! In September 2006, I attended the Parsippany, NJ coin show which was a three day show at that time. I walked around the floor wide eyed at all of the shiny round discs that I knew very little about. This was my first show. I had no loupe with me, but did have a redbook in my hand! lol

I loved the look of toned Morgans and wanted to purchase one or a few. The show at a silent auction, and I asked to see some toned Morgans. I was shown this one, which was raw, and I placed a bid of $100. Thinking back today, I probably would have walked right by this coin. So a few days later, I recieved a call that I won the coin for $85! I sent a check and soon the coin was mine. Shortly after, I joined NGC on the advice of a dealer, and submitted this coin.

It came back a MS64*! Needless to say, I was quite happy! I took some of my Morgans out today to take a look, and this one brought back many good memories. I hope to own this coin for many years to come, and one day pass it down to my kids.

Just thought I would share it with everyone :)

Thanks for reading!

34g7rzl.jpg

167qfqe.jpg

Ankur

Cool story, I remember my first coin was a 1881-S proof-like Morgan that I paid $12.50 for when I was a young boy. I've tried to have it graded, but it came back improperly cleaned. That doesn't matter though, because after 40 years, I still own this coin because it opened a door for me into a hobby that I thoroughly enjoy.

Gary

Fantastic toning on that piece, and fully deserving the star (assuming the reverse looks nice). That's a pretty good start for a first coin.

I agree. Even absent the toning, the coin looks nice for a MS64.

Cool story, I remember my first coin was a 1881-S proof-like Morgan that I paid $12.50 for when I was a young boy. I've tried to have it graded, but it came back improperly cleaned. That doesn't matter though, because after 40 years, I still own this coin because it opened a door for me into a hobby that I thoroughly enjoy.

Gary

My first certified coin was an 1881-S too. It was in a NGC holder as MS64, but was a lower end coin. I ended paying MS63 price at the time. I still have the coin even though it isn't particularly special in terms of the coin's physical attributes.

Nice coin - especialy for your first purchase. Indicates you have a "good eye."

Gary that is awesome! Post a pic!

Thanks AnkurJ, as per your request, I am posting fresh pictures of the coin that started it all for me. This coin looks much better in hand than in these photographs. Because of the lighting you can see exactly where the improperly cleaned occurred. There is another spot of hairlines on the obverse that the lighting didn't show. To the naked eye, she looks fine. The fields are deeply mirrored and I believe without the cleaning this coin would be DMPL. Regardless, this common coin is worth more to me than mere eye appeal and grade. For $12.50, shes a keeper.

IMG_4064.JPG

IMG_4065.JPG

Gary

I bought this coin at the same show. It was in a SEGS (yes I know) MS64 holder. It crossed to a NGC MS63*. Its one of my favorite Morgans!

nvpelh.jpg