• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question About the Registry Ranking System

10 posts in this topic

To those that have asked (thank you)

The NGC Registry ranking system is a complex model based on a multitude of market sources. The model is proprietary but we are actively trying to create a method by which collectors can easily evaluate their coins in their sets in relation to this model. Please bear with us. We are working diligently on ways to address this concern.

The collectors have some questions about 1 coin out Ranking a set. Look at the top set..... it has 1 coin! Is that right?

The Pop1 issue was posted by Poteets about the Franklin Proofs..... which he has a great point.

Here is the link to the problem in question!

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/ShowAllSets.asp?IDSetType=51

There is certainly a correlation between rarity and price but collector interest and their willingness to lay out hard cold cash for coins, rare or not, is certainly a factor. (Take the recent Buffalo dollars as an example).

If you will, then, please explain to me (so that 'I' can understand!) how one coin of a series, or set, has all of this perceived value, to the point it makes the remaining coins less than desirable, and-- therefore-- valueless...!!!

Also, how can a 69 be viewed as 'less' than a 68, per your thread?

All of this, in my humble opinion, tells me that it's foolish to assemble a set of coins, as they have no value, save the one 'gem'...

I'm so! confused...!!!