• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The last Canadian Penny

8 posts in this topic

From the Canadian Mint website.

The last Canadian penny to be produced. May 04, 2012

A very interesting video and read for penny collectors every wear.

Enjoy

All the best

Alan

http://www.mint.ca/store/template/home.jsp?lang=en_CA&rcmeid=BWS-SEM-Search_CAN-RCM-BRANDED-EN_Google-Canada_T_SEM|K_canadian%20coins|A_3002683908&pdl=1

Wow, I read an article earlier this year about discontinuing the Canadian penny,that source said production to stop in the fall of this year.the Canadian government will save a lot by not producing pennies.I think the U.S penny is not far behind,even the nickel in this country costs about 11 cents to produce!!

Canada uses a shorter calendar than the US. When they said "fall of this year" they really meant May 4, 2012 by the US calendar. (It's a little like Gregorian vs Julian calendars, only different...)

As stated on the Canadian Mint website:

"• While the cent will remain Canada's smallest unit for pricing goods and services, the Royal Canadian Mint will no longer distribute pennies as of Fall 2012."

The key word in this case is distribute . Mintage apparently halted and they will be continue disbursing their penny until the stockpiles are exausted.

Get them while they are "hot" as the yare sure to be a collector's piece. :wishluck:

A very interesting video and read for penny collectors every wear.

Surely, a Freudian slip? :kidaround:

Thanks for the link!

jom

Surely, a Freudian slip?

I thought that was J. Edgar Hoover in a slip? Do you mean that Freud rode sidesaddle, too?

Also: Does the "Last Canadian Penny" have to turn out the light?