• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird slab label ATS

9 posts in this topic

ATS, on the US coin board, Jeremy (Airplanenut) has posted a British 4p in a PCGS OGH slab with a label I've never seen before.

Conder101 - you should check it out.

I am, by no means, a slab expert. But my guess - bet actually - is that the holder is legitimate.

Among other reasons, why would someone go to the trouble, yet create such an odd/suspicious looking holder? Also, while I'm not certain, I suspect that the encapsulated coin is not of particularly high value and thus there would be no reason to create a counterfeit holder for it.

ATS, on the US coin board, Jeremy (Airplanenut) has posted a British 4p in a PCGS OGH slab with a label I've never seen before.

Conder101 - you should check it out.

Link? (shrug)

My hunch (and it's nothing more than a hunch) is that the slab is a trial by the manufacturer of the plastic -- pre-OGH -- from the very earliest days of PCGS, and the reason that the label is so generic is that they had not yet begun slabbing OGH at the time that this piece was made.

Again, just a hunch.

The pop report only has 1 graded 4 pence from 1849 at MS65

I suspect a mechanical error in that the coin was awaiting a pcgs coin number for 1849 4 pence and that label was internal tracking number / grade, but somehow coin got slabbed and returned like that

It is real. I have one in my collection, I acquired it after the book came out. PCGS really wasn't doing much in the way of slabbing world coins at the time and possibly they were doing some experimenting with labels. The world coins really didn't fit into their numbering system and I think they really didn't know what to do with them. This is only the third one I've seen. It is from the PCGS 4 era, 1990 to 1995. The back label nails that down.

That's about all I know about it.