• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945 Full Bands?

22 posts in this topic

Not to spam your thread, but is your example for sale? ;)

lol prolly not.... I paid $300 for it and never plan to get my money back

I have one with better bands than this.......Somebody is going to make a killing!

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1171&lotIdNo=65021

Are you also saying that this coin is better than the 64FB label?

Resubmitted for a higher grade just might succeed but in doing so, it just might also drop the FB designation?

Wow, BS. That is one well struck, albeit OC, 1945 Mercury Dime. I have no idea what off center strikes bring, but that one should be in the 4 digits in my opinion. Great coin with FSB.

Jim

I'd be willing to guess that the off center strike on the coin above is the reason why the bands are fully split.

Regarding the example for bid, if that's your thing I think history indicates that nicer ones are really rare and hard to find. Time to buy it is when it's available.

On a side note, I heard that someone has been using a laser to part bands on Mercury Dimes the Mint did not. You gotta be careful.

As for the coin in the OP, it may have taken a few attempts to get that into a FB holder...that's all I'm saying.

Here is my 1945 Mint State Full Band Example. :)

1945_MSFB_Uncentered_Broadstruck.jpg

Someone else mentioned not long ago that broadstruck and/or off center 1945 FSB coins are far more common than coins without errors. I don't recall the exact reasoning, but it has something to do with how the metal flows into the die more easily. (shrug) I would guess that true non-mint error FSB coins would bring multiples of their error equivalents is this is true.

So it seems im the only one that thinks the Heritage coin doesnt have full bands?

Have you seen the coin in hand? I haven't, yet, and know that often, it is impossible to make a FB determination based on an image.

So it seems im the only one that thinks the Heritage coin doesnt have full bands?

Have you seen the coin in hand? I haven't, yet, and know that often, it is impossible to make a FB determination based on an image.

No I havent. Its actually on my list for you.If full split Id be very interested. It just appears to be holding on in the middle and off to the right ( on the picture)

Someone else mentioned not long ago that broadstruck and/or off center 1945 FSB coins are far more common than coins without errors. I don't recall the exact reasoning, but it has something to do with how the metal flows into the die more easily. (shrug) I would guess that true non-mint error FSB coins would bring multiples of their error equivalents is this is true.

YES, this is TRUE!

This is not necessarily true. You might want to read my earlier post a little closer...and maybe read between the lines on that one. I did not seem to think there was a reason to directly bash anything and I also figure that in such a large auction, the condition/look of the coin will likely be reflected in the price to a certain degree at least. My 10 cents.

YES, this is TRUE!

So the error actually harms the coin's monetary value?

YES, this is TRUE!

Kinda Sorta...depends upon how you look at it. There are errors like this that do not have FB but more often than not I believe they have FB. An error like mine might be worth a couple to a few hundred bucks depending upon exact condition, holder and the demand of the day(number of bidders etc). So if you just examined this as an error coin, a FB would sell for more than a non FB example. But if you look at this from the point of view of owning a 1945 in Mint State Full Band....yes, the error kills the potential value. ;)

"So it seems im the only one that thinks the Heritage coin doesnt have full bands?"

I also think the bands don't make it.

Sometimes the graders require the bands to be well rounded and split, other times just split. This coin seems to be in the latter category, based only on the pictures.

Since the blanks were made slightly dished before striking, an off center strike is placing the center band where the thickness is greater. The 45-P dime is problematic such that the die spacing was set so far apart that only oddities would have full bands. I would bet the Heritage coin shown is sort of FB only because it the planchet was a bit thicker than normal.

YES, this is TRUE!

Kinda Sorta...depends upon how you look at it. There are errors like this that do not have FB but more often than not I believe they have FB. An error like mine might be worth a couple to a few hundred bucks depending upon exact condition, holder and the demand of the day(number of bidders etc). So if you just examined this as an error coin, a FB would sell for more than a non FB example. But if you look at this from the point of view of owning a 1945 in Mint State Full Band....yes, the error kills the potential value. ;)

I need to find me one of these. :grin:

[/so it seems im the only one that thinks the Heritage coin doesnt have full bands?

quote]

Your not alone............

Based on the photographs alone, the coin is marginal at best. I would not pay full FB money, but it is worth a premium. If I was in a position to buy one at a very large price, I would want a solid example.