• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do UNC Flying Eagle Cents ever tone?

7 posts in this topic

Since there are no color designations for UNC FE's, and all the ones I've ever seen are bright, is the composition used impervious to toning?

They can tone, but you rarely see colors on them or the copper-nickel Indian cents. Usually, they just turn orangeish. Here's a toned 1859 I sold a while back.

59ihc2.jpg

1857-1864 pennies are all made from basically the same metal composition and, as a result of the high nickel content, tend not to tone nearly much as the copper bronze pennies from 1864 on. However, though rare, I have to differ with my friend Mark! You can find some very pretty toned copper nickel pennies - here are several from my personal collection....

600_1861_NGC_MS66_9-10.jpg

600_1862_NGC_MS65_S-2.jpg

600_1859_NGC_MS64.jpg

600_1864_CN_MS64.jpg

1857-1864 pennies are all made from basically the same metal composition and, as a result of the high nickel content, tend not to tone nearly much as the copper bronze pennies from 1864 on. However, though rare, I have to differ with my friend Mark! You can find some very pretty toned copper nickel pennies - here are several from my personal collection....

600_1861_NGC_MS66_9-10.jpg

600_1862_NGC_MS65_S-2.jpg

600_1859_NGC_MS64.jpg

600_1864_CN_MS64.jpg

Very nice coins, but how about a toned FE cent?

Mark may have been correct, I must defend him even though he forgot to get me that coin.

What he said was they

rarely do so in beautiful colors.

You disagree with that?

Your coins are the rare ones he is talking about.