• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Dealer Stickers On Holders

42 posts in this topic

Received a coin today in the mail with the standard coin dealer sticker across the hologram on the reverse of the holder.

I find this aggravating as a collector.

Somehow, I need to try and remove this sticker so I can get a proper image of the coin in the holder. I feel the need to remove these coin dealer stickers in hopes of not telling "All" where I purchased the coin in my hope of keeping others from "stealing" the coin of my choice. ;)

This particular sticker was clear and I had trouble discerning where I needed to start pealing this thing off. It was very "sticky" too.

My question is:

Why do coin dealers feel they need to do this?

I keep an Excel database on all coins bought and sold with cert numbers. Isn't this enough?

When you're at a show, or even at home base, keep it handy and you don't need any stink'n stickers. :)

some have computerized inventory and have alot quicker turnover than us collectors. Many dealers try to turn purchases in weeks (or days, or hours)

I use GooGone to help remove sticker residue - problem with NGC holograms getting pulled off with sticker.

I don't use stickers of that type on my coins. But I know some dealers do so, so that when it comes time to sell, the owner of the coin is more likely to think of them. That is in addition to the aforementioned reason of inventory controll purposes.

Thanks for the responses so far! (thumbs u

#1 I want to say that this company is one of the best in the business and I have never been disappointed in any coin purchase from them. But, (There's always a but) every company should strive to be #1 in Customer Service and should not be offended by honest customer feedback in a positve or negative context. This company is not.

(thumbs u

In all honesty, I did mention that Mark Feld does not put any stickers on his coins.

The sellers response to my question about stickers is as follows:

Thanks Lee. We'll take your concerns into consideration but Mark is a one-man operation and since there are four of us selling coins, and we have a larger inventory, stickers are really a must. I would say the 90%+ of other dealers use them. So our main objective is to get stickers that are the best for everyone. We will try to get some in the future that are easier to remove.

How good is that?

A+ in my book!!! A company willing to listen to collectors and hope to improve their customer's experience in this great hobby of ours.

:)

Inventory tracking, price control and advertising are the reasons I can think of off-hand for dealer stickers on slabs. Similar to Mark, I do not use stickers on slabs that I sell, either. When I ship a coin I place a business card next to the slab and wrap the two together in bubble-wrap. When I sell a coin at a show I write an invoice out for the buyer. Of course, I am also a one person operation.

I enthusiastically SECOND the complaints about stickers.

Recently I purchased a 55-slab-lot of coins that all came stickered from Teletrade.

Grrrrrrr.

I've also used Goo-Gone ($6 or less at Wal-mart) with success, but it's still a pain-in-the-slab when you have over 50 at a time to de-sticker.

I implore our dealer friends to NOT sticker the slab holograms, please!

One final note: Congrats to our friends at Northeast Numismatics for using glossy easy-to-remove stickers that peel off easily every time, even when the slab has been stickered and placed in long-term storage.

I use Goo Gone to clean the mess, I sure would rather see a little scannable micro dot used somewhere other than gum over the hologram personally. I might even leave those on! Instead, I remove all stickers immediately.

Received a coin today in the mail with the standard coin dealer sticker across the hologram on the reverse of the holder.

Somehow, I need to try and remove this sticker so I can get a proper image of the coin in the holder. I feel the need to remove these coin dealer stickers in hopes of not telling "All" where I purchased the coin in my hope of keeping others from "stealing" the coin of my choice. ;)

This particular sticker was clear and I had trouble discerning where I needed to start pealing this thing off. It was very "sticky" too.

My question is:

I keep an Excel database on all coins bought and sold with cert numbers. Isn't this enough?

When you're at a show, or even at home base, keep it handy and you don't need any stink'n stickers. :)

Even a small dealer needs to be able to identify each coin positively and without any question or hesitation. If you have ever mailed the wrong coin out, you will understand ;) We use stickers internally, but peel them off and make sure there is no residue prior to shipment. We spend a lot of money having coins re-holdered before we offer them, and leaving stickers and glue on them when they sell would make that endeavor pointless. I realize that we are an exception to the rule, however.

Be careful removing labels from holograms. I've removed labels and the holograms came off with the label which ruined the slabs. This problem was especially prevalent with the older no line fatty NGC slabs. Goo Gone applied to the label helps loosen the glue on the labels that are really sticky but you need to leave the Goo Gone on for awhile so it can soak into the label and dissolve the glue. Fortunately the newer slabs seem to have holograms that are better attached to the slab shell.

I don't mind the goo left from the stickers, but how about when the sticker pulls off part or all of the hologram? Just happened to me on an old NGC holder. Not happy about that!

I am serious, with modern printers, a clear substate micro-dot could be employed for data scanning later and lacks being obtrusive or ugly. Maybe then even the buyer can usefully scan the data later with lot numbers and auction data and use it themselves. Maybe make something useful out of a dissatisfier.

I am serious, with modern printers, a clear substate micro-dot could be employed for data scanning later and lacks being obtrusive or ugly. Maybe then even the buyer can usefully scan the data later with lot numbers and auction data and use it themselves. Maybe make something useful out of a dissatisfier.

There's a barcode printed right on the slab. All they need is a barcode reader, and they could set up a database. However, I've never in my life seen a dealer with one of these. Could it be they don't know what its for or how to use it? Or could it be that no one is tech-savvy enough to figure it out.

Would a hair dryer or some other device that blows warm air work for sticker removal? I've done this on vehicles that come from auto lots that put their stickers on the back and it works great, just not sure how well it works on stickers placed on top of other stickers.

Would a hair dryer or some other device that blows warm air work for sticker removal? I've done this on vehicles that come from auto lots that put their stickers on the back and it works great, just not sure how well it works on stickers placed on top of other stickers.

You could try it on a cheap slab but you would need to be careful not to melt the plastic shell.

I agree with those who have a dislike of the sticker and understand that when handling hundreds or especially thousands of coins at a time, it would be far easier to glance at a sticker than looking up a spreadsheet or other type of inventory device.

What tends to tick me off, is when the seller places the sticker continually over a pertinent area of the coin(such as the hologram). It has to be done either purposefully or without thought. Either would be poor judgement. I have checked today on ebay and more than 10 dealers with stickers had them in places that blocked pertinent info(I'm talking on the reverse) that is a pain when removing the sticker. They make all sizes of stickers and their is plenty of room for their application without covering anything. I would guess that even a monkey could be trained to place the sticker on white only.

Then that's my opinion.

Jim

I carefully peel stickers starting with scraping with a fingernail. to start the peeling process. I agree it is aggravating process. If sending an item to a mail order customer I remove all stickers and any residue before shipping.

I use only easy peel off stickers and nowadays a small one simply for cost code. Pricing data along with cost and other data in on an excel spreadsheet. I have hundreds of items in inventory, hence the need for a cost code on the item for quick price quotes or situations where several coins are on the table with counter offers flying back and forth. Having a cost code sticker on the coin insures (1) you know your cost in the item when showing it to a customer and (2) if for some reason your records are corrupted, lost, or destroyed you can reconstruct your inventory data.

The most annoying sticker use I have seen is someone putting a sticker on the holder in the middle of the coin. Makes it looks like their shooting themselves in the foot.

wd-40 always works for me

if done carefully

also i love stickers on slabs especially so if they are positioned and do not block the coin

especially so the stickers that say

in many bright neon colors and fonts with multiple exclaiminations after the words !!!!!!!!!

RARE!!!! RARE!!!!

WOW!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

MONSTER!!!!!!!!!! KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

etc.

I just thought I would share that I bought two NGC old no line fatties from Great Collections. The holders were immaculate just like the coins. Rather than placing the sticker over the hologram as a lot of services have done, Great Collections photographed the coin without the sticker, and then placed the sticker below the hologram (and thus preserving it). The sticker was easy to remove too. I applaud them for their consideration in protecting the holder.

My recent 1879-CC had a sticker on the back. I tried to remove the sticker and it left the gun with some paper on the hologram. I tried to remove that by heating up the gum with hot water and a sponge, it didnt work.. just moved the gum all over the place. I then tried hot water with a magic eraser.. damaged the hologram.

Yea.. I hate it when they cover the hologram with a sticker..

I care about the whole holder. A holder with a damaged hologram is like a car with a broken back window. My number one care is about the coin of course.. second is the condition of the holder. I have a 1880-S MS67DPL Morgan with a damage hologram and it drives me nuts when I flip the holder over. Its an eye sore in my opinion.

My question is:

I hate stickers on coin holders, but I can see the dealer's point on this to keep track of their prices, especially at shows and expos.

I use rubbing alcohol to remove any adhesive residue on the holder after removing the sticker. Works good.

To those of you who care about the hologram - what are your reasons? Thanks.

Are coins with missing or severely damaged holograms easier to sell at coin shows? Thanks.

I have many coins with damaged holograms. I recently bought a coin in an old, perfect NGC holder. Took the sticker off and about 20% of hologram came with it. Started thinking, it had been on there for about 25 years and then very quickly was damaged for no good reason.

I care about the integrity of the holder and hologram because of liquidity concerns and aesthetics.

I care about the integrity of the holder and hologram because of liquidity concerns and aesthetics.

I agree.