• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dollar for Euros

9 posts in this topic

Most smaller banks don't exchange currency. And, even larger banks will often need to "order" the bills if you are needing more than just a couple hundred Euros.

US Bank and Wells Fargo will both exchange dollars for Euros before you leave for your trip. You must have an account to use their services as recent changes to some of the "Homeland Security" rules mean they want to track every little detail about how much, when, and where you exchanged your money.

Depending on your needs, it's often easier to exchange once you arrive in Europe. Also, if most of your purchases are possible via Credit Card, that is also a simpler method.

I'm not sure where you're going in Europe, but I travel to Italy at least once per year. In more recent years, I have just been exchanging dollars for euros once I arrive in Italy. Any larger purchases, I just use my credit card (but make sure you let your Credit Card company know you're traveling abroad so they don't "turn off" your account suspecting funny-business with charges from Europe).

Happy travel,

-Brandon

Most smaller banks don't exchange currency. And, even larger banks will often need to "order" the bills if you are needing more than just a couple hundred Euros.

US Bank and Wells Fargo will both exchange dollars for Euros before you leave for your trip. You must have an account to use their services as recent changes to some of the "Homeland Security" rules mean they want to track every little detail about how much, when, and where you exchanged your money.

Depending on your needs, it's often easier to exchange once you arrive in Europe. Also, if most of your purchases are possible via Credit Card, that is also a simpler method.

I'm not sure where you're going in Europe, but I travel to Italy at least once per year. In more recent years, I have just been exchanging dollars for euros once I arrive in Italy. Any larger purchases, I just use my credit card (but make sure you let your Credit Card company know you're traveling abroad so they don't "turn off" your account suspecting funny-business with charges from Europe).

Happy travel,

-Brandon

Thanks for the tips. I will be traveling to Cannes.

Consider buying travelers checks in Euros if you have a bank that will issue them without an extra fee, or get them without surcharge from AAA if you're a member. Before using a credit card in Europe, in addition to letting them know where you're going, make sure the credit card you plan on using doesn't have an extra foreign transaction fee, as many of them do, a fee which can be substantial. Otherwise, put up some nice things for sale here in the Money Marketplace and offer to accept Euros as payment, at least in part. I've got about 100 Euros in small bills waiting to be spent.

Unless you're the Ebay seller who sold me a incorrectly weighed Piaget on ebay back in Nov, 2011 (similar name, I have no idea if it is you or not), I have 560 Euros (7 bills total) that I will exchange for dollars at current rate plus postage. Current rate makes these worth about $742.50. I'll take $750 in USPS money order and send them registered mail. Email is sixtlghorn@aol.com. This offer is good for plus or minus one cent in exchange which currently is about $1.3250/Euro.

Otherwise, the cheapest way to obtain Euros is, as has been said above, to use your ATM or just use your credit card. If you just need a few hundred for taxis, etc, I'd simply exchange it at your arriving airport. Normally you will get a better exchange rate over there than you will on the US end. I understand that some bank credit cards (Cabelas for one, which may or may not still be doing it) only charge 1% for Euro CC charges which would likely be your best option. If you're in Germany or any of the major Euro countries, $750 worth of Euros won't go far.