• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Member-Longtime Collector Hi All

24 posts in this topic

Well, I finally crossed the street yesterday. Met the resident comic on the way in. I collect US coins and auto art. Looking forward to hanging around and seeing what all the excitement is all about.

Cass

Nice to meet you! Pull up a chair, do some finger flexes, and madly type in and tell us more about yourself. What are you chasing, whats your best coin (in your opinion....the only one that counts), Nd so on. I look forward to your posts.

Hi Dwight:

I got interested back in 1998ish when my New Boss (nicknamed Yukon Cornelius) said to me: "You know what you need to do, you need to buy silver. Your biggest problem is gonna be storage. Every week you need to go and buy some 10oz bars and stash them away".....So I did, and later switched to gold. One thing led to another, and the coins were just so close.

I have sold off my entire collection once, and am slowely starting to rebuild it. My best coin is my 1891 Morgan dollar in the lowely condition of AU55. It belonged to my grandfather who passed in the early 70's, and he had it as a pocket piece since he was a kid. I was always told it would be mine, but it was lost for several years and only turned up years after my grandmother had died...So I slabbed it, to ensure it wouldn't get lost and of course it will never be sold.

Thats the basics...

My best Cass

Welcome to the forum! Usually, this place is much more quiet and reserved than ATS. So pull up your rocking chair, grab a glass of sweat tea, and sit and smell the gardenias with me.

Welcome, sometimes I cannot contain myself and post without even thinking.

I was going to post El Gaupo saying, "Who the h*ll are you?" in the Peace dollar fiasco you replied to, but I actually stopped and thought about it for a change.

Sumpin, huh?

Nice story Case. Given the timing of your buy in on precious metals, I suspect you owe your boss a nice dinner out.

I am glad you found got grandfathers coin. I have a couple of similar pieces handed down to me from my great grandfather. Not that they have any numismatic value, but I will never sell them all the same. My grandmother got me started on coins as a boy and then I took a lengthy vacation from them to raise a family. I just got restarted a little over a year ago and have been enjoying the fact I have more discretionary income than I did at 14... Although Uncle put a large crimp in my budget this month with a $2k tax bill (ouch).

Well, I'm at my office and have limited images on my office pc, but here's one I sold awhile back for a friend. It's a long story, but with this project I gained an appreciation for auto illustrations. This one was done by Art Fitzpatrick & Van Kaufman, more commonly know as AF-VK.

redbonnie.jpg

Wow, that's a beautiful illustration Cass. You don't have one for a 76 Pontiac Trans Am do you? (Yea, I still have mine from 78)

Last weekend the sun was out and I was on kind of a mini vacation in the Puget Sound area of Washington. My wife and I stopped at a coffee shop and some had their early 70s bright red pCadalliac convertible out...I think it was a 72, but I am not a big caddy guy. At any rate, this car was from the days when luxuary was king in Detroit and the bigger the better. The car had a collection of people gawking at it, including me. You just don't see these going down the road much anymore with gas prices being what they are now. I remember my dad having a car like this, although he had a Lincoln...in either case, the nose of the car looks like it goes on for two blocks before the rest of the car catches up. My truck had been stolen once years ago and he let me borrow his car to get to work. He called and asked how I made out with it and I made a comment about turning into the wind to commence flight operations because it really felt like I was driving an aircraft carrier. I miss the days of cars having character rather than the cookie cutter look alikes we have today.