• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's play show and tell...

24 posts in this topic

I posted a picture of this coin across the street as an example of one of my favorite coins. I'll post it here as a topic for a show and tell.

The coin in question is an 1873-CC W/A dime. Who can give me a little bit of information or analysis of this coin?

I noticed Coin-beast logged on. Maybe he can chime in...

EVP

589a8aadeedd9_87167-1873-CCdimeobv.JPG.04d499567208cabf200c97bf17a08120.JPG

wow rare coin evp wild!!!!!!!!!

now i will do a show and tell and i am good at telling.....................lol

adter doing kameo koinage for like 30 years this is the finest merc dime i have ever seen with a strong cameo

both sides and really super strong ov=bverse uncommon also with superb album toning to boot

this coin has absolutely no hairlines nor marks and is ina ngc 67 holder only

because the middle bands are not fully split othweise to me it is a 68/69 coin and this coin has abso9lutely

no hairlines nor marks of any kind to me if the bands were fully split this would be either a star 68 or 69

shou,d i resubmit for a cameo and star desihgnation??

and this coin looks just as cameo in person as in this scan

but the colors are better in person there is some frost in the fields but again it is a cameo not a deep cameo

lol

i think there are no deep cameo mrec dimes in proof but i guess time will tell and might prove me wrong

now thats a spicy fishing lure

sincerely michael

87185-42CAMmerc.jpg.1e9f88d9713a0bd4e61dd165c8251693.jpg

Well, the interesting thing about the 1873-CC WA, is that there are NONE in the pop reports at EF or above (with the exception of the Norweb coin which is a gem). Even the Eliasberg collection had only a VG. There are a number of these in EF with corroded surfaces, possibly due to the Carson City silver (which was generally and not alloyed properly). So, this is one heck of a condition rarity. You don't mentioned if the coin is certified; regardless, for detail it is one of the finest known.

This reminds me of something about the Carson City mint (I am currently hunting through Carson City newspapers of the 1870s for coin facts) - there was a batch of silver brought in from somewhere nearby (I believe Virginia City), and the coins struck from this batch were specifically mentioned as being "Virginia City dollars" - whether any have survived with this attribution I don't know, but I thought this was interesting. It may be that silver from some mines was better for coining than silver from other mines. Unless we could go back in time and assay it all we can't really say for sure smile.gif

The surface on the dime is pretty grainy from the scan. It looks like about an XF45?? Here is an 1875-CC MS62 dime for comparisons sake. tongue.gif

Cool coin though, considering it's rarity. I wonder what it would bring at auction?

589a8aae0283f_87205-1875-CCDime.jpg.3b8f5f51abdb797128516b60aac48d0f.jpg

Assay techniques in those days were about 95.0 - 98% accurate, not 99.98% as they are today. Probably the Virginia City gold is alloyed with zinc or something that does not mix well in the silver.

"Who can give me a little bit of information or analysis of this coin?"

Well, it's freakin' rare as heck! How's that for an analysis wink.gif

I can't post pic's, but I have an 1849/6 half dime (pcgs ms/63, undergraded IMO), with some very attractive blue and gold original toning. That's probably my prettiest coin and still kind of rare. It's probably my favorite. Give me a day, and I'll change my mind!

I don't know enough about seated dimes to day if it is counterfeit, it seems like it would ba a pain to alter one from another year, though adding a mintmark may not be as hard. If someone was trying to sell me this coin, probably the first question I'd ask is why hasn't it been certified? Being such a rare peice, at least submitting to ANACS would authenticate it even it cleaned/damaged, and that cost so little.

The Die Crack through the CC and extending to the right side ribbon does not appear to be on this dime. I have blown up the picture that EVP furnished and can see no sign of the die crack period. This was done very early this morning and then I PMed EVP. For sure I did not want to call his coin a fake without asking a couple of questions but seems how others have brought this up it does look questionable. If it is real he really has something as there was only suppose to be one Die Marriage with this date.

Ken

Hmmm...

This coin has been slabbed by ANACS several times as genuine. Also, a mutual buddy of mine and Coin-beast's says that the scratch is the first thing he looked for when he looked at this coin. And, he says that it's there. Of course, I still can't see it.

Kinda embarrassing...

EVP

EVP when I was reading about this coin it said All had the Die Break and I was a little baffled about this statement. Was the reverse die used from a previous year ? Help me as the books were vague on thier information. Two reverse Dies used instead of the stated one ??

Ken

I think that the coin is counterfeit. Comparing it to images of other coins of this kind on coinfacts.com, this one appears to be counterfeit. The first thing that struck me odd is the open gown in the front. On the coinfacts.com examples, the gown doesn't look like it's open between the breasts, as this one does. Check the ones out on coinfacts.com and compare them.

PQ,

The coin in question had been slebbed as genuine by ANACS at least 3 times already, and had been BB'ed by NGC and PCGS for corrosion.

No individual nor service who have seen the coin in person thinks the coin is counterfeit. I understand, however, that it's difficult to ascertain too much from a picture.

Finally, let me state that my question was kind of open-ended. But, I never questioned its authenticity. I have inside information; I am its owner and know its history!

EVP

Have you checked the one out at coinfacts.com yet? Maybe they were struck from different dies or something perhaps. But in all honesty, the design of the gown is overlooked quite often when checking for a countefeit coin. Just thought that I would point it out.

I would hazard a guess that the coin has been in the ground for many years? This granularity would be characteristic of soil acids leaching out the zinc, leaving the surface grainularity.

EVP -

I would never even pretend to be qualified to judge the authenticity of your coin and I in no way attempt to do so. But the image of your coin shows several characteristics that are indeed different from the coins pictured on the Coin Facts site. Coin Facts dime - dimes ?

Coin Facts states that the coin is unique - but yet they have two pictures that appear to be different coins. Perhaps this is just due to the photography.

But compare the line of the collar in the Coin Facts pic to yours - also the lines around the left breast and on the reverse at 1 o'clock - the lines of the wreath. The two pictures on the CF site appear very similar in these areas. But your's appears quite different.

It makes me wonder - not if your is counterfeit - but if it is a previously unknown coin. You have the coin in your hands - and as such you can tell much better than any of us can by looking at pictures. So I ask you as a favor & in the interest of knowledge - compare your coin to the CF coin - in particular the areas I mentioned - and let us know what you determined.

Yes - the coins are different I know. As for the arrows - there is only one known example of the coin without arrows - that's the one on the CF site. What little I know of this particular date & MM indicates there are only a few with arrows. But I have been unable to locate a picture of these coins for comparison.

I am merely interested in learning about something I don't know. So I asked the questions of the man who does know. That's all.

I should have also used this picture - though not a CC example the differences I mentioned are still appear to be there. Perhaps the CC coins are just that different.non CC with arrows

I have such little expertise in the area, I must defer the authenticity debate to the experts. After answering my previous questions to my satisfaction, all I can say is Cool coin EVP, thanks for sharing it with us!

Folks,

I have limited time right now; I've a ton of stuff to do still before leaving for FUN tomorrow morning. But, let me just say that it's not worthwhile for anyone to invest too much time comparing the w/Arr specimen to one w/o Arr.

EVP

Hi,

I showed Roadrunner the coin at the FUN show, and he showed me where the die break is and what it looks like. I'm kind of embarrassed that it took so much trouble for me to find the darn diag!

Thanks, RR!

EVP