• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A CAC Submission: Got Results!

74 posts in this topic

It is nice to get the CAC seal of approval. One coin that CAC didn't approve but I really like is my 1799/8 Bust Dollar. I bought it in an old, small ANACS holder and sent it to PCGS. It crossed at VG10 but CAC declined to bean it.

The "second" skin on it is a likely reason for no bean. I still love her! A couple before and after images:

BustDollar.jpg

013-1.jpg

I do Mike and must be honest, I use CAC to cull out some of my collection. Most of the PCGS and NGC coins I own have been to CAC and many of the ones that didn't pass have been sold. The Bust Dollar above is one of the few CAC flunkies still around. I like it, a lot.

Here's a few pieces from my latest CAC submission.

002-2.jpg

That image of your 1805 DBQ makes it look really attractive! Do you have larger obverse and reverse images of that coin?

I dont really have a need for CAC. Most of your coins look nice. I can tell you that I would be surprised if that Columbian got a Gold Bean. That scratch in the left field is all I can stare at. The rest of them should get a green bean I guess

That image of your 1805 DBQ makes it look really attractive! Do you have larger obverse and reverse images of that coin?

Thanks for the compliment. I don't have any professional images but did snap a few shots before putting her back in the SDB. There are few light scratches across both surfaces that seem to plague DBQs. The VG8 OGH and CAC sticker make this one worth the price of admission.

034.jpg035.jpg

004-1.jpg

See, the problem I have with CAC is that they reject gorgeous and attractive coins like the Bust Dollar shown above, but then put a sticker on a coin that I personally find highly unattractive and unoriginal, like the 1813 Bust Half.

See, the problem I have with CAC is that they reject gorgeous and attractive coins like the Bust Dollar shown above, but then put a sticker on a coin that I personally find highly unattractive and unoriginal, like the 1813 Bust Half.

How can you tell from such a tiny image? I agree with you on the Bust Dollar; it is nice.

Maybe you would feel differently about one or both coins if you were to see them in person. But even if not, the fact that you disagree with CAC shouldn't cause you to have a "problem" with them.

Maybe you would feel differently about one or both coins if you were to see them in person. But even if not, the fact that you disagree with CAC shouldn't cause you to have a "problem" with them.

It's entirely possible I would have a different opinion if I saw them in hand. That is always the implied caveat when offering an opinion on an image.

However, this is not the only example. It has been my experience that about a third of the coins that CAC has blessed do not meet my personal standards. Everyone goes crazy over CAC coins and bids them up and buys them sight unseen and whatnot, but they often aren't anything special. That is my real problem with CAC.

How can you tell from such a tiny image? I agree with you on the Bust Dollar; it is nice.

After you study coins for a long enough time, and view enough images, you get a feeling for what a coin looks like from an image. You learn to interpret the image - and that is how I interpret it. Especially for a series that I specialize in, such as the Bust Half.

The 1813 Half has more color in-hand. There is a bit of luster peaking out from protected areas too. It's a solid 45 but might not have the look that some CBH fans seek out.

obv1-2.jpgrev3.jpg

After you study coins for a long enough time, and view enough images, you get a feeling for what a coin looks like from an image. You learn to interpret the image - and that is how I interpret it. Especially for a series that I specialize in, such as the Bust Half.

The photo of that Bust Half is too small to make a judgment call. You know I know my Busts , I would have declined to comment that it does not deserve a sticker from that image. You really cannot tell.

I made that post prior to the new Picture - that 1813 looks good to me from the new photo.

Yes, Mark, you know I know and respect your opinion of Bust halves. However, I can say these new pics only confirm my opinion of the coin, and I like it even less than before.

Keep in mind that's just my opinion.

It's entirely possible I would have a different opinion if I saw them in hand. That is always the implied caveat when offering an opinion on an image.

However, this is not the only example. It has been my experience that about a third of the coins that CAC has blessed do not meet my personal standards. Everyone goes crazy over CAC coins and bids them up and buys them sight unseen and whatnot, but they often aren't anything special. That is my real problem with CAC.

That isn't a problem with CAC, that is a problem with the broader market. Of course, the part that a third of the coins you have seen with CAC stickers would fail your personal standards is a legitimate gripe.

For the record, PCGS and NGC graded coins fail my standards about 90% of the time while CAC stickered coins fail less frequently, but I do not have a problem with any of these entities for that observation.

Yes, Mark, you know I know and respect your opinion of Bust halves. However, I can say these new pics only confirm my opinion of the coin, and I like it even less than before.

Keep in mind that's just my opinion.

You have a very good eye, usually better than mine for the subtle issues that can change a coins grade. However as we all know pictures can hide the good points of a coin as well as the band points.

Here are the results:

Columbian - Passed

Rhode Island - Failed

Delaware - Passed

Walking Liberty - Failed

Mercury Dime - Passed

I called CAC and John was in a meeting. I left my phone number for a call back.

The results are all good and I'm still happy with the coins that didn't pass. :) I don't believe in the term "Dreck." Collectors all collect at different levels and I hope are happy with their coins. This "hobby" is all about learning and I've for sure taken my lumps!

I'll update this thread again when I hear back from John.

I'm guessing green beans for all except the Walker and Rhode Island

LOVELY merc dime! Love the color on that one!

Got it right Ankur!

Now let me know why you feel that way. :)

I'm guessing green beans for all except the Walker and Rhode Island

LOVELY merc dime! Love the color on that one!

Got it right Ankur!

Now let me know why you feel that way. :)

Rhode Island: toning which has started to turn to environmental damage.

Walker: Chemically induced toning.

Let me know what JA says.

Does CAC sticker Bust material if it has hairlines under what most would consider beautiful toning? Just curious...

jom

Just got a call from John.

He and Bill Shamhart spent five minutes on the Rhode Island. They both really like the coin and thought it should trade at 66 money and felt it had PL surfaces as Mark did, but just too many marks to garner a sticker.

The 43 Walking Liberty: He remembered the coin and stated that he immediately felt AT. Mentioned something about gauze? I haven't heard this term as far a AT'ing a coin. Can anyone enlightening us on this?

He stated the Columbian was really a nice coin and had some stacking friction that kept it from the 64 grade.

John thought the Delaware was a nice original coin and not too dark to sticker.

Edited to add: John did say that he felt the Rhode Island was a 65+ coin with the other comments as I mentioned above.

He and Bill Shamhart spent five minutes on the Rhode Island. They both really like the coin and thought it should trade at 66 money and felt it had PL surfaces as Mark did, but just too many marks to garner a sticker.

The 43 Walking Liberty: He remembered the coin and stated that he immediately felt AT. Mentioned something about gauze? I haven't heard this term as far a AT'ing a coin. Can anyone enlightening us on this?

He stated the Columbian was really a nice coin and had some stacking friction that kept it from the 64 grade.

Interesting results. Of the four coins, I LOVE the Delaware, like the Columbian very much, and the rest didn't honestly do much for me. I agree that the Walker is AT, and have been told that the crackled effect ("gauze") is achieved by somehow ATing the coin through a piece of construction paper. I surmise that toning medium (whatever it is) is vaporized and allowed to penetrate the construction paper as it lies very close to, or touching, the coin's surface, but that's purely speculation on my part.

Your Rhode Island might be far more worthy of sending to NGC for a PL designation then the Columbian from NFC you just sent. I felt the Columbian and Delaware would sticker and am glad to hear the latter coin did as it's original as the day is long. I didn't feel the Mercury dime would pass so that comes as a surprise. Yet not as much as your mentioning that five minutes was spent with one of your coins as that like an eternity... How many mere seconds do TPGraders spend on a coin hm

From what ive heard when speaking to a few people, gauze is used to AT by applying a sulfer product to the gauze and leaving it in contact with the coin over a period of time in attempt to create textile toning.