• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Eagles posted by Richard Blaine

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

How I became a nut job.

Since I intended to use coin collecting as an investment vehicle, I did a lot of thinking about what to collect. I knew relatively little about collecting, but I intended to learn quickly by cramming. I watched every TV coin related shows. I read books by Rick Tomaska and several others. I signed up for news letters about coins. I also studied paper money collecting. I`m a retired law enforcement evidence tech. expert. I could testify as an expert witness in court. Particularly about fingerprints, etc. While studying this stuff, I kept casting about for something I could really get into and actually be able to complete. I decided that I wanted to have a collection that was world class. That could only be matched, never beaten. I settled on American Silver Eagles.

At first, I collected 70 grade business strikes and proof strikes. I soon figured out that I couldn`t ever afford to complete a MS70 set, let alone both MS70 & PF70. So I focused on just proof issues. I thought that I would try to control myself and only collect the rarest issues and ignore all the common ones. It took me about six months to figure out that I was never going to find them, let alone buy them. I gave up for awhile. Unexpectedly, I found someone selling most of the hard to find Silver Eagles. I didn`t know what to do. Buy them, not buy them, buy them, not buy them, etc., etc. Fight or flight response! Flipping a mental coin, I bought them. Suddenly it looked like maybe a could make a world class set.

In a few months, I had the full set of, at that time it was 23 coins. Now what do I do? Lots of people had full sets. Well, maybe not lots of people but certainly several people. What to do, what to do? Everything I thought of seemed to have already been done. Finally I came up with the idea of building a Silver Eagle mint mark set. I looked around and couldn`t find any of them. I would include all of the associated sets too. 10th Anniversary, 20th Anniversary, etc. I saw a whole bunch of different type labels our there. Most of my coins had been certified by NGC. I decided to go with NGC, and I`m glad that I did. PCGS, in my opinion, is too picky and their high grade coins are few and far between and therefore more expensive to buy. Once I was focused on NGC`s labels, I tried to figure out what all the different labels meant. There was a series of Anniversary Set labels, next was the Liberty Series, etc. I decided to only collect NGCs sole proprietary labels. None that some other intity paid them to create. I would be a purest! So now, it was a mint mark and NGC label collection. Then I became aware of some odd labels. Labels that shouldn`t exist and are therefore must be rare and interesting. I don`t know about the wisdom of placing importance on labels along with the coins, but I enjoyed it, so why not? I also started thinking about First Strikes and Early Releases as a way to help seperate my set from others.

That took me into the long wait to find a 2005 W Silver Eagle, First Strikes label in red. I saw that only 163 had ever been graded, making it the most rare of all NGC labels. When I finally found one, I had absolutely no idea of what its` real value was. Now, it`s been about a year and a half since I started my attempt at having a world class set. At that moment I was cash poor and coin rich. I traded for the 2005 W First Strikes. I won`t say what I traded for it, because that would make it totally obvious that I am an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and a babe in the woods. I did eventually atone for it, somewhat at least. One day, on Ebay, I spotted something wierd. It was a 2006 P Reverse Proof, PF70 that didn`t have a black 20th Anniversary label. Instead, it had a blue 20th Anniversary label. The label looked just like the one on the 20th Anniversary 2 piece gold and silver set. Maybe that`s how the mistake was made. I`ll never know. NGC seemed very surprised, and somewhat aggravated, that such a label existed. Of course, I bought it. That deal was okay. I was getting better at this, little by little. There are also some brown labeled Early Releases, and who knows what else.

Until next time, take care coiners! - Rick

See more journals by Richard Blaine