• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Referral question

6 posts in this topic

Recently someone ATS brought to my attention a coin for sale that I ended up purchasing at a ridiculously low price. To put things in perspective I saved about $1000 dollars over what I expected to pay. The coin is in a no problem TPG holder so no issues about the coin itself and I have received it. Would it be appropriate for me to pay the person who brought this to my attention a referral fee (even though it has not been requested) and if so what would be an appropriate amount? I feel somewhat compelled to reward the person ATS because I probably would not have found this without their help before someone else bought it.

Thanks for your opinions.

If you feel like doing that, then that wouldn't be such a bad idea---it would have to be a personal decision.

If so, maybe 10%?? Just a guess....not more than that.

Even ONE percent on, let's say a $3000 coin (30 bucks) is a nice gesture.

A happy medium would be 5%. IMHO.

To share Numismatic knowledge is but one reason these Forums exist. That said, if you feel personally obligated to make a financial gesture than you might want to discuss this with the other party, privately.

I'm certain you can have a mutual respect and appreciation for each other without complicating it by trying to decide on 5% or 10%and asking for public opinions about what percentage may be appropriate. .Perhaps just a well thought out and delivered " Thank you " will suffice along with continued " Free" exchanges of individual expertise.

Happy hunting.

Being that no funds were requested by the person referring the coin to you, it might be more personal to find a numismatic item that they might like and buy it for them, with a nice thank you note attached, without a cash payment being involved. JMO

Jim

If someone saved me $1,000 on a coin I wanted, I would happily give them $100 (10%).

It'll make sure they bring other opportunities to my attention in the future, and should save a ton over time.

Agree with this 100% but would like to add maybe there is a coin that you know this person wants that would mean more to them then the money.