• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fugio Cent question

8 posts in this topic

My coin says "States United" is this any different that the TPG Fugios designated "United States" on the holder?

124191.jpg.e92d3ce1a487a3383ae3384f5cd54fd2.jpg

124192.jpg.384b22f07d1ca5c4ad2900625602dedd.jpg

The circular device in the center of the reverse (called "the label") has either "united states" or "states united" reading from left to right. That's one way to designate the reverse variety; I guess some people collect them that way. That's a beautiful Fugio, by the way.

Thanks. Which is rarer, or are they about the same? I think it is interesting that I bought this from Heritage but they don't include it in their sales database.

Thanks. Which is rarer, or are they about the same? I think it is interesting that I bought this from Heritage but they don't include it in their sales database.

The NGC census shows 334 total graded for "States United" but only 62 total graded for "United states" (that is for the 4 CINQ P.R. FUGIO)

I am not totally sure, but the government was in a state of flux at this time. Perhaps those labelled "States United" were issued before the Constitution was signed and those noted "United States" were minted after. Just a thought

When considering which is more rare, note that Fugios are collected by die marriage, so it is possible (although I don't know, myself) that all "UNITED STATES" die marriages are both more common and more scarce than many of the "STATES UNITED" die marriages.