• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World Coins - Authentication or Grading?

11 posts in this topic

I have noticed that neither PCGS or NGC do alot of TPG on World Coins, the ones I have submitted to both of these often require the research documentation as they are unfamiliar with them. I like having these conserved and preserved by NCS but wondering if they can package and authenticate with details rather than having these graded. Sort of seems like a waste of money, most world coin collectors are looking for the authentication and know the value of the condition. Thoughts?

I have noticed that neither PCGS or NGC do alot of TPG on World Coins, the ones I have submitted to both of these often require the research documentation as they are unfamiliar with them. I like having these conserved and preserved by NCS but wondering if they can package and authenticate with details rather than having these graded. Sort of seems like a waste of money, most world coin collectors are looking for the authentication and know the value of the condition. Thoughts?

What country or series are you talking about? Your last statement is rather broad and I do not believe it is correct. This might be true of some collectors or some series where the collectors are more knowedgeabe than most others. But I doubt it is true of most collectors of world coins that they are better graders that their counterparts who collect US coins.

The same applies to your comment about authenticaion. I do not believe that most world coins are worth authenticating at all. Most are not worth that much money and I am not aware that they are counterfeited that much. Some yes, but most not to my knowledge.

The coin speaks for itself regardless of the grade given, and to be sure authenticity is perhaps more important than grade to most world collectors. However, when it comes time to sell, the true added value of having the coins authenticated AND graded becomes fairly apparent to even the most casual observer. And this extends across the spectrum of world coins regardless of how rare or common they are.

World coins slabbed in an NGC holder will ALWAYS, --without exception-- fetch more when sold than the same exact specimen would sell for outside of a holder. For certain world coins, the price differential can be as high as multiple hundreds of percent, especially for properly graded condition rarities in the upper mint state grades. Same holds true for coins that are more often seen as counterfeit than as genuine specimens, such as Eritrea Tallero crowns and the like.

As with everything in life, there is a certain cost-benefit that must be analyzed. If a coin is essentially worthless raw, its doubtful slabbing it will make much difference in what the coin is ultimately worth. Though in such instances, it is still kind of fun to have the "finest known" of a coin even if its simply because no one else would dream of wasting their money to have it graded in the first place.

im aware of that one. i have some world that is taking that journey now. but cant you just send to ncs and they will slab if you dont want it to go to ngc? i sware i used to have some ncs slabs with net grading on them.

I chose the standard option on my pidcock's and I still haven't heard from them. It's been 20 working days when it said, (and still says) the current turnaround time is 10 days. I think they may be lost....(not the coins, the graders)

some coins take more research and such. so it could take longer.

thanx conder ive been out of the loop for a while. good to know :)