• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing leaf

Missing leaf  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Missing leaf

23 posts in this topic

Hi all .. What do you think should NGC allow missling leaf on non DDO and other variety's of shield nickels on the variety + scheme options ? or is it just a silly idea on my part ?

newcastle947.jpg

please vote :applause:

Nobody knows where the missing leaf is --- But on the coins, upper right, at about 2 o'clock position is where it once was. Should be 4 leaves so the wreath is symmetrical.

(The wreath was supposed to be olive, but Longacre got some of it wrong, and koalas thought it was eucalyptus and ate the 4th leaf before they could be chased away by Peter the Philadelphia Mint’s stuffed Beagle.)

that nickel looks awful course to me ( or is it the photo? )

yep its one of my old scans from my now dead scanner

(The wreath was supposed to be olive, but Longacre got some of it wrong, and koalas thought it was eucalyptus and ate the 4th leaf before they could be chased away by Peter the Philadelphia Mint’s stuffed Beagle.)

I did not know the Mother Mint had a stuffed dog named Peter in addition to a broken down eagle also named Peter...you sir are a wealth of information.

And to Dooly, I know squat about these kinds of nickels, there I said it.

Missing leaf varieties are well-recognized by shield nickel collectors, but notoriously hard to attribute. TPGs don't do that well with shield nickel attribution in general, and I wouldn't expect things to get better with MLs.

Well, not the best with this series, can you or someone post a shield nickel with all the leaves. Thanks....

No problem With leaf and without

wl-horz.jpg

When I first read the thread title I was really hoping there was a third newly discovered Wisconsin state quarter variety. Darn. Hah.

Missing extra leaf? That's the one I have.

Well, not the best with this series, can you or someone post a shield nickel with all the leaves. Thanks....

wl-horz.jpg

The one that has the 4th leaf has a missing berry stem?

The mint had a lot of trouble with the Cu-Ni alloy, in part because they refused to listen to advice from European mints that used similar alloys. Also, Joseph Warthen was incessantly pushing his nickel metal, even though he did not have a thorough grasp of how to handle it. Complaints and problems run from 1855 well into the 1880s.

wl-horz.jpg

Missing

Picture049.jpg

hi Irvin .. ? has your coin got the die crack through the 7 like mine ?

No die crack Dooly and new photo does show it has 4 leaves. :P

103_0203.jpg

103_0202.jpg103_0201.jpg