• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin inventory software

14 posts in this topic

Anyone know of software that will interface to a database to provide valuation estimates for each coin?

Thank You.

Anyone know of software that will interface to a database to provide valuation estimates for each coin?

Thank You.

No, I don't. You say you are a rocket scientist. Sounds like you are a young person. If you truly want to enjoy collecting coins, forget about worrying about your coin collection increasing in value, and simply buy what you like.

I too have been looking for a solution to estimating value for my coin collection. And not just for whatever gratification may come (or not) from tracking values.... I was talking to my home insurance company and I only had coverage for up to something like $2k in coins in the standard policy. Now, to be sure, I keep my collection locked up and behind an alarm system, but still... if I were to loose the collection to theft or fire, the insurance company would write me a check for $2,000 and wish me luck in figuring out a way to make up the difference in value....

If on the other hand, I have a list showing the FMV of each coin and a added rider on the policy (of course you have to pay for the extra coverage), then I can be reimbursed for the FMV in case the unthinkable happens.... So far, I have only been able to make up an Excel spreadsheet and a lot of manual inputting to create said list....

So there are reasons to track the value of your collection beyond whatever vainity you might get from seeing an increase in value of the collection.

Thank You.

No, I don't. You say you are a rocket scientist. Sounds like you are a young person. If you truly want to enjoy collecting coins, forget about worrying about your coin collection increasing in value, and simply buy what you like.

I understand the concept of collecting something for pleasure, but at the same time, I think it is dangerous to not consider the financial ramifications of your collection. Tracing the real time values can allow you to sell a coin that may be decreasing in value, and to reinvest the money in another "collector coin" that you like better while allowing you to receive at least a full return on your original funds invested in the piece. Also as mentioned, tracking the value of your collection for insurance purposes is useful. If I have a 500-1000 coins, for example, then why should I waste the time to provide real time values for each manually in the event of an insurance claim, when I can click a few buttons and print out a custom generated report for filing with the insurance company?

I too have been looking for a solution to estimating value for my coin collection. And not just for whatever gratification may come (or not) from tracking values.... I was talking to my home insurance company and I only had coverage for up to something like $2k in coins in the standard policy. Now, to be sure, I keep my collection locked up and behind an alarm system, but still... if I were to loose the collection to theft or fire, the insurance company would write me a check for $2,000 and wish me luck in figuring out a way to make up the difference in value....

If on the other hand, I have a list showing the FMV of each coin and a added rider on the policy (of course you have to pay for the extra coverage), then I can be reimbursed for the FMV in case the unthinkable happens.... So far, I have only been able to make up an Excel spreadsheet and a lot of manual inputting to create said list....

So there are reasons to track the value of your collection beyond whatever vainity you might get from seeing an increase in value of the collection.

You can forget insurance. My insurer wants over $2000 a year and that is if it is kept in a bank and can only be taken out for very short periods to allow me to take some to coin shows.

Coin Elite is what I have been using for the past 8 years or so. The program organises my collection and lets me enter pictures. The software is a quirky Micosoft data base program and is difficult to manage, especially if you wish to change the page layout for each coin type to something more user friendly.

My only issue is that their values which are (of course) outdated by the time they make the software availble for sale. There are too many other variables, like toning, which make this a purly academic exercise anyway.

I have been using it before it was even windows based (10-12 years?). The prices are up and down like most guides but it gives me a general idea. Support has been really great for all these years. The backup feature is really cool when the time comes to change systems.

For the users of coin elite, can I import an excel spreadsheet or do I need to enter info manually?

Thank You.

You can forget insurance. My insurer wants over $2000 a year and that is if it is kept in a bank and can only be taken out for very short periods to allow me to take some to coin shows.

You either have a huge coin collection or the wrong insurance company.

Go to a specialized collectibles agency. I use collectinsure.com