• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first toned carson city MorGan dollar - 1884 CC PCGS MS65

20 posts in this topic

It is very dark.
:eyeroll:

Let me clarify, since my opinion is significantly contrary to what everyone else is posting - that thick black toning has progressed to the point of damage. I'm guessing the luster is seriously impeded on the top half of that coin. Black toning is never attractive in my opnion, and I make no exception here.

If you like it and got a good price on it, then great for you. Its not a coin that I am a fan of.

My perspective is the coins looks lighter in the slab pics than it does in the top pic. I doesn't look that dark to the point of damage from my side of the screen. jmo

As those that know me I am not a big fan of toning on Morgans ... Even if they HAVE pettigree (sp?)

This coin is DARK on the rim side and somewhat unpleasant - I have silver spoons that are that dark. It defintely is NATURAL! I can say that for it.

NOW if the Obverse was as nice as the reverse ... wow ...

To each their own.

AS far as the metallurgy behind a tone that dark I will leave that to the experts in the field.

Definitely agree with the grade too .,.

So out of curiosity, what if physics were right and the toning had progressed to the point of damaging the coin....there isn't much that can be done about it, since its slabbed, right? Or would that be a reason to send it to see if it could be helped by NCS?

So out of curiosity, what if physics were right and the toning had progressed to the point of damaging the coin....there isn't much that can be done about it, since its slabbed, right? Or would that be a reason to send it to see if it could be helped by NCS?

If he was write, and I do not believe he is, the coin would be damaged, and thusly, not able to be conserved. The concern is that the toning has progressed to the point that it has etched itself into the surface metal.

It is very dark.
:eyeroll:

Let me clarify, since my opinion is significantly contrary to what everyone else is posting - that thick black toning has progressed to the point of damage. I'm guessing the luster is seriously impeded on the top half of that coin. Black toning is never attractive in my opnion, and I make no exception here.

If you like it and got a good price on it, then great for you. Its not a coin that I am a fan of.

Again, I agree with Physics here. Even if market acceptable, I would never pay MS65 money for the coin (i.e. the toning actually detracts from the value for me). I would pass on this piece, but if you like it, that's all that matters.

Edited to add: I don't think that the toning has progressed to the point of damage; I nevertheless find this sort of toning and other so called "black beauties" to constitute negative eye appeal.

pfff that toning deff adds a premium are u kidding me lol.

Actually, I think this thread is excellent because it demonstrates precisely what I attempted to reveal in my toning premium thread: that eye appeal and toning premium, if any, is subjective and the fact that there will be significant divisions over almost any given coin. What is pleasing to your eye might not be pleasing to my eye and the converse is also true.