• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on new Peace pickup?

46 posts in this topic

Its dark and splotchy, and the reverse is spotty. Sorry, I'm not a fan. I'm also not convinced its natural. I would have passed on this coin.

Dont mind him. This cat does not like any thing but trying to get under some skin.

The obverse is bad azz.

Its dark and splotchy, and the reverse is spotty. Sorry, I'm not a fan. I'm also not convinced its natural. I would have passed on this coin.

Dont mind him. This cat does not like any thing but trying to get under some skin.

He's trying to be helpful, and quite frankly I agree with him. Just because he doesn't agree with a given position or praise a coin doesn't mean that he has bad intentions.

P.S. No offense AJ; I like your collection, but I don't care much for this one either.

I appreciate everyone's opinion, and I do acknowledge that this particular coin has a polarizing look to it. Obviously, I liked it enough to pay roughly 4x sheet for it.

Here is a another look at it, full slab shot:

slab.jpg

He's trying to be helpful, and quite frankly I agree with him. Just because he doesn't agree with a given position or praise a coin doesn't mean that he has bad intentions.

P.S. No offense AJ; I like your collection, but I don't care much for this one either.

Yes we can all have our opinion. Be it of a coin or continued rudeness in post. I am also being helpful. No sense in letting some one going over the top bring him down. I was just being reassuring that his coin is very attractive.

Besides no matter any ones opinion of the the toning it lies in a tpg problem free holder and nearly any one who digs a colorful peace would enjoy it.

P.S. Again your coin looks great

Very nice pick up there Jersey. I'm not a toned coin collector, but I know you like them and that is a nice one to add to your set. But I thought you were going to avoid paying high cost for a coin in a slab and focus on raw coins to save a bit of money that you were spending on coins before? Don't take it as I am trying to second guess your collecting procedure, as I do the same from time to time if I find a good deal on the series of coins that I collect.

Again, that is a very nice addition to your set. Congratulations.

But I thought you were going to avoid paying high cost for a coin in a slab and focus on raw coins to save a bit of money that you were spending on coins before?

That is a valid question.

The price of this coin was too attractive to pass up.

Otherwise, I am still preferring to buy raw coins at this time.

That's what I had thought was the reason you bought this one. It really wasn't any of my business anyhow, but I was curious. Aside from that, do you enjoy buying them raw? or would you still choose to buy them already certified? I still like the thrill of finding a coin cheap in the raw and later submit it to find out it's worth several multiples of what I had paid for it. But each as their own feelings.

-Chris#2

I still like the thrill of finding a coin cheap in the raw and later submit it to find out it's worth several multiples of what I had paid for it. But each as their own feelings.

-Chris#2

+1 ... I would be very careful of collecting toned Peace $ already slabbed at 4x sheet.(if resell is an issue) I have watched a lot of the more expensive slabbed toned Peace $ to come back down to earth as far as prices are concerned.

The hunt for raw coins takes a lot of time though.. and if you factor in time into the cost basis then 4x sheet might seem like a steal ! lol

After attempting to resolve the issue with coppertoning via PM, he ignored my message and informed me that he has placed me on his ignore list. I wear this as a badge of honor. Let's just say that after his series of negative posts towards me, the feeling is mutual.

The slab is dated (numbered) way prior to when the TPG's finally decided to get tough on certain toning combinations of Peace dollars. If the coin is market acceptable to the TPG's now, I have no quarrel with it. I have seen a few Peace dollars with this reverse toning but not the front toning. Too blotched for my tastes, thanks anyway.

Okay so I have to take back my earlier post...

Here's a toned PCGS AU58 that just sold for 8-9x sheet...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=190651688920&nma=true&rt=nc&si=g774hhgpk1QiJsTlmK91DDGjl1c%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I think the AU58 is a little liberal.. more like a 50-53...

Pretty coin but I cannot believe AU toned Peace $ are going for these prices.. Wow.

Yup, I saw that 58 too.

No way that's a 58, I would think a 53 grade would've been suffice.

In all honesty, I think grade is somewhat irrelevant for the most part when it comes to Peace Dollar toners.

A dealer I know has a PCGS MS60 (yes, 60) toner for $2000. It's a moose.

I saw that coin. Its nice but I wouldnt call it a moose. And its not worth his asking price. I have yet to see a common date toned Peace $ that would be worth $2000.00.

Art use to post a pic of one of his toned Peace $ (I think its a 22-D)... Thats one of the prettiest I have seen but I have never seen that coin in hand. If his pic is 100% accurate then I would call his coin a moose.

I havent seen many I would give such a lofty name to...

Could you PM me a link or image? I promise that I won't compete against you for the coin (and I have no intentions of buying it at all at that price). I'm curious to see what the various TPGs view as market acceptable for toned Peace Dollars.

Could you PM me a link or image? I promise that I won't compete against you for the coin (and I have no intentions of buying it at all at that price). I'm curious to see what the various TPGs view as market acceptable for toned Peace Dollars.

I would also like to see it.

As a note on terminology - the term "moose" usually refers to a fantastically toned, extremely high grade coin. An MS-60 would not be a moose.

I saw the coin in hand at Long Beach... I dont have a link maybe Jersey does. I dont even remember the dealers name...