• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry awards need a sound change. posted by Enggold collection

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Paper awards redundant and needless.

I'm sure I speak on the behalf of many. It's nice having a top registry set and a ribbon flag online to go along with it with the year of entry. However , the zillions of diplomas might be overdoing it and will eventually end up as fire starter. A new change.... any registry set winner wins ONE free grading when submitting 5 coins, World or US. Seems fair and productive ? THEN , if you have 5 winning sets you get 2, 10 winning sets you get three, 15 four, etc, etc. In multiples of 5 sets after one. This is PRODUCTIVE, saves paper and ink and would be very appreciative ! Take a poll. NGC please take notice. Grant R.

See more journals by Enggold collection

An interesting proposal, and one I'd like to see, however, looking at it in economic terms, it might not fly. I'm sure it costs less to print and send the certificates than it would to give away free gradings. if the cheapest grading is $14, and it only costs, lets say $5 per certificate mailed, then its cheaper to send the certificate. Also, they'd still have to print and send the proper coupon, track them, etc. I just don't see it happening...

... unless, the coupon is sent when they send the normal coupon at renewal. Then, this would be motivation to renew, as well as strive for #1 registry sets.

Another consideration would be that NGC would have to carefully monitor the number of competition sets and the number of freebies they will potentially send out... I'm not privy to the inner workings of NGC, so don't know if their current tracking system is set up to handle such things. If not, then changing a functioning system can be costly...

Oh, and if you thought there was contention now, add in the fact that 'real money' would be involved, and you'll see much more debate about what goes into sets (PCGS: yea or nay), point values, etc. Wow... boggles my mind.

Not a bad idea but I don't see it happening. NGC currently has over 3100 categories of competitive sets and many of the modern U.S. sets have well over a dozen individuals tied for Best In Category. I wouldn't be surprised if NGC mailed out 20,000 Best in Category certificates each year. That would translate into over half a million dollars worth of free certifications and there is no way that that is going to happen.

I don't see what it would matter anyhow as it is generally the same group of people that win it each year anyhow since there is no real way to unseat them most of the time. Sure you may tie with them for first place, but because they had their set up there for a longer time period, they will always be the top (on the set listings) first place winner for that category.

Look at the rankings in the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle set - almost 100 tied for #1, and another 100 that have the same point total as the #1 sets but lack photos, descriptions or both. There could be 200+ tied for #1 just in that set!

Well then just give it to the top set and exclude the sets where tons of people have #1, I mean how hard is it to get the 04-05 nickels people. I have those nickels but its not even worth adding it to take the 100th #1 spot.

On the sets where there is only 1 #1 spot its usually because that set is harder, if you exclude the easy sets it would be more like 300-1000 free submissions. if that.

Three awards each year:

Best Registry Set

Best Custom Set

Best Journal Writer

No one can win more than one award in any given year and if you win a category, you're out of the running the following year but are eligible again 2 years out.

No monetary incentives, just the little bug you can display and the big old Numismatic News, etc. they place on your behalf.

Here's the kicker, each category is voted on by US after NGC chooses internally 5 finalists for each award.

Later,

Malcolm

Three awards each year:

Best Registry Set

Best Custom Set

Best Journal Writer

No one can win more than one award in any given year and if you win a category, you're out of the running the following year but are eligible again 2 years out.

No monetary incentives, just the little bug you can display and the big old Numismatic News, etc. they place on your behalf.

Here's the kicker, each category is voted on by US after NGC chooses internally 5 finalists for each award.

Later,

Malcolm

Now that idea I like. That way it wont be the same people getting the exact same awards each year.

I think that would be a good gesture for the best in registry, custom and journal but I wouldn't be surprised if rank #1 set certificates are done away with next year. They are costly and NGC is working on their profit making decisions so that would create another dismissal for greater profits in the corporation.

Later----Rank #5