• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: What is the Best Way to Package Coins for CAC?

13 posts in this topic

I have about 30 coins that I want to submit to CAC that I intend to mail by Registered Mail. What is the best way to package these? Do you send them in PCGS/NGC Boxes or do you use an alternative packaging method?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

When I have 15 or more I use the plastic slab boxes. Whatever, remember John Albanese uses "your" box to return them. On a few occasions they have added an additional outer box. In 3 years of submissions I can only remember once when my box was not returned. CAC runs a very frugal and efficient operation with a very skinny overhead cost.

If you've got more than 10 coins, use a 20 coin box. 10 or less then I usually put them in safety-mailers.

I've got 9 coins ready to go and I'll probably just use an NGC box. I still have the cardboard box it was returned in from my last CAC submission! You will get your box back but I also write a note on the submission form to return it.

I always ship USPS Registered Mail.

Ship the 15 coins off to CAC in the plastic slab box. I use a thin piece of foam on top of the holders, then place the lid on. Tape the slab box lid on well. I place some packing inside the USPS Medium Flat Rate box, or even some empty boxes, just to fill up the space. Remember, weight is not considered in the Flat Rate boxes. Runs about $11 plus Registered, plus insurance.

Ship the 15 coins off to CAC in the plastic slab box. I use a thin piece of foam on top of the holders, then place the lid on. Tape the slab box lid on well. I place some packing inside the USPS Medium Flat Rate box, or even some empty boxes, just to fill up the space. Remember, weight is not considered in the Flat Rate boxes. Runs about $11 plus Registered, plus insurance.

Mozin: How do you seal the Flat Rate Box so USPS accepts it as Registered? Just the edges?

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!

...why not let us take a look at what you're submitting? then we could coach you, so to speak. :whistle: not that you need it. just for fun. :devil:

I would except that my old camera is broken, and I have yet to take the time to purchase new imaging equipment. Once I receive the coins back, I am planning to send them off to be professionally photographed. I can then post the images and the results (at least of some of them).

Mozin: How do you seal the Flat Rate Box so USPS accepts it as Registered? Just the edges?

I use the brown filament tape that needs to be whetted. I buy the tape at Staples in a really big roll for about $10. All the edges of the USPS box that meet, need to be taped. This means all the way around both ends, plus once around the middle. The rest of the box need not get taped. You can write on the box, and you can write on the tape. Forget the USPS stick on address label, not as safe. To begin with, I use small pieces of regular clear packaging tape to put the box together. All this regular packaging tape must be covered by the brown filament tape.

registered mail

box in a box ie double boxed

with plain brown reinforced filament adhevice tape all around the kind you need to wet with a sponge that sticks to the outside box

John A likes chocolate, so I usually throw in a few pieces of Dove chocolate. It helps with the stickers. ;)

They stick better?

Or does the soothing chemical effect of chocolate suspend the Viewers'

critical review?

Or both??

Respectfully, (of course)

John Curlis

Now that this has been published, I bet John A gets chocolate in many many submission packages. Wonder if he likes dark chocolate, milk, or white best.