• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I hate it When I Do That

11 posts in this topic

That being to fast on the trigger.

Well Friends,

Today I bought a BIN coin on Ebay without paying enough attention to the coin. I had done my search for 1922 S Peace NGC and then set it for BIN coins only. Lo and behold a nice example shows up in AU58 for, what I thought, was a fair price. Since I was spending the last of my birthday money, I was feeling kind of excited and anxious.

So, as soon as I bought the Dollar, I realized it was a 1922P in AU58 condition not S. Here is how it happened. The coin description was as follows:

"1922 Peace Dollar S$1 NGC AU58 EdgeView Holder!"

So the S in my search was the S inserted in front of the $ sign. Since I was in such a hurry, I paid no attention and bought the coin on the spot without ever truly examining the slab.

WHAT A BONEHEAD MISTAKE.

Now my nicely priced 22-S is instead a market value priced 22-P. OH well, I am sure this less on will keep me straight for awhile, But my natural impulsiveness will probably cause the same problem, as it has in the past, again.

Later,

Malcolm

PS-Blaming on the dyslexia.

My Mustang in Repose.

10788.JPG

See more journals by BeawChan

I did that on a clad coin, when I thought I was buying the silver coin. Realized a few minutes after the auction, contacted the seller and apologized, explained, and they simply canceled my bid and second-chance offered it to the next bidder. Not sure how long ago this was, but maybe you can catch the seller before they ship it out? Either way, market value is better than buying something overvalued. =)

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I bought a details grade 1906-D half eagle, thinking I got an eagle for a great deal (still within eagle melt value), OUCH!! When I discovered what I just done, I looked at the listing again and to my dismay discovered my error. I eventually sold that coin at a loss, DOUBLE OUCH!!! Oh well live and learn and read your listings CAREFULLY!!!

Gary

I have done it as well. But I too if it is an auction, I'd retract. If it was BIN, I contact the seller as soon as I discover my error.

But now, when I think I am going to buy or bid, I make sure I take the time to look over the listing carefully. Control that excitement. If it looks to be too good of a deal, you're probably missing something.

Lately, I have been buying Indian Head Cents- graded Red. You have to be very careful and avoid missing the Red Brown. In fact, I just received a thanks from an ebay seller who incorrectly listed a 1879 as Red, when it was Red Brown.

Bid in haste, repent in leisure. It's happened to me as well.

I jumped on a BIN for a "1900 Barber Half, PCGS AU-50" without checking the photos carefullly enough. The price looked good (too good) and it only had a minute or so left. A week later I received a nice PCGS AU-50 Barber quarter, the same one in the listing if I had taken time to check the photos carefully. I kept it; the price was still OK for what it was, and while the seller had made a mistake in his listing, I had made a bigger one by not checking the photos out more carefully. Probably won't be the last time that happens.

We've all been in the hot seat a time or two being impulsive. The one's I really despise are the crafty seller's that try to trip you up. I buy lots of mint sets, as they are great source of high grade coins and unfortunately a great source of low grade junk too...

I bumped into a seller the other day that had several mint sets listed - the listing was kind of cryptic - which draws my attention - as it is a way to get good sets that may not have been cherrypicked yet. The listing title went something like this - "mint sets - 68 69 70 71 (3) 74 75 78 80 81" There were no pictures and the description was just as cryptic. The price was good on a BIN. I almost bought it and then checked myself as my finger hovered offer the mouse...Well I decided to send the seller a question - we're these full P&D mint sets. The seller did promptly reply that no they were P only - so now the price was about double what I would have paid, as the key coins in the group are missing, the silver halves. I'm under the impression the seller didn't know in this case, but I've seen plenty of shady listings where the seller did know and been caught a time or two. I averted having to smack myself on on the head by an eyelash on this one. :facepalm:

I did that once on E Bay. Some mutt listed a 1955 "mint" set...... then went on to explain it was a proof set showing just a picture of the flat pack. $145 later it came and I was surprised. Was too too red faced to call him on his deliberate trickery. He's now banned from getting any more of my (wife's) money.

Was looking to buy a 1976 clad quarter for my type set recently, and the same seller has two. I picked the one that was $2 cheaper.

It wasn't until I read the confirmation email that I noticed I has just bought a 1979 quarter. Guess my mind flipped the 9 to a 6? I emailed the seller and offered to pay the extra $2. The seller was nice and said no problem. Didn't even charge me the $2. I saved his info in case I ever need something similar.