• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned Liberty Quarter 1961

15 posts in this topic

The giant scratches on the obverse kill whatever other positives the coin might have. The color appears attractive, but the surfaces appear to have been tampered with in some way.

This looks like a very typical hazy proof, just the way they come out of the wrapper. The color seems to be above average. The scratch and the chance of wear are possible inhibitors, but I can’t see any evidence of tampering.

cleaned and retoned proof

on the obverse you can see color changes near the motto

If this one does not scream doctor none ever will. Look under the wing where the drop of chemical or what ever was used fell.

cleaned and retoned proof

on the obverse you can see color changes near the motto

If this one does not scream doctor none ever will. Look under the wing where the drop of chemical or what ever was used fell.

It doesn't seem intentionally modified to me, but it is possible, of course. It just looks like it circulated briefly, and thereby picked up some surface contamination, which subsequently induced the unusual coloration. I've seen numerous proof coins with similar coloration that have been in plastic holders (often Capital Plastics or similar) for decades. Actually, I own some!

Lightly circulated proof. I would say this coin is a $10.00 coin.

I agree that the coin has likely circulated, but I differ with respect to the value of the coin. I wouldn't expect a premium above melt value which is approximately $5 to $6 as of the moment this post is written.

I'm not convinced it has circulated. I've seen a number of proofs that had light spots across the high points and otherwise richly toned surfaces. This is usually the result of the high points being in contact with plastic and protected from oxidation. It can also occur when the dies were grease filled and the high points had rough spots that were coated with grease and protected from discoloration. It is often contaminents like die grease that preserve silver coins over time.

That said, the scratch could be from circulation, so wear is a possibility.

The scratch is not from circulation. its from stupid shipping..

when i bought it, it had no scratch. seller shipped the coins in one of those red boxes, so some coins has been hitting each other..

i did not ask for refund because i made a good buy all coins together.