• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I picked up a new Buffalo nickel today. Ya wanna see? Play guess the grade...

17 posts in this topic

As you can see it's a 1913-D type 1 I just picked up today. To me this is an eye appealing Buff, nice color with underlying luster. The obverse has a great strike especially the hair & knot are well defined. The reverse shows a semi large die crack that runs vertical on the Buffalo's head that has had an effect on the details to the left of said crack. The center of the reverse is very well struck as shown by the ridge line on the Buffalo is bold.

This coin is housed in a NGC holder. What do you think the assigned grade is on this type 1 ?? Or, do you think it has been fooled around with somehow and received a "details" grade?? Thanks for looking and playing guess the grade ....Joe

NEWPYDOO001.jpgNEWPYDOO017.jpg

While your at it, if ya want, you can guess the grade of this one too....This is another 13-D Type 1 from my collection...

13dtype1s011.jpg13dtype1s007.jpg

The first nickel has rims that seem to fluctuate all over the place. The strike seems weak to my untrained eye and it Looks like they spelled E PLURIBUS UNUM wrong for God sake!!!

I'm guessing it's low grade like MS 62 or so. Then again, I don't know squat about nickels.

The second one is much nicer. MS 65* by my estimation.

MS 65 on the first 13d and MS66* on the second 13d. Love the doubling strike on the 2nd 13d. As usual, Joe, what an addition to an already fabulous collection of Buffs. Are you going to leave any of the type ones for us?

Jim

I guess MS64★ on the first one, and MS66 on the 2nd one. Both very pretty Buffalo Nickels. (thumbs u

Just curious, but the 1st one looks to have a planchet flaw at 1 o'clock on the obverse. Is that true, or am I just seeing something in the picture??

I'm going to say MS64 on the first and MS65 on the second. I'm basing this on the only one that I own, which is a 64. Your first one appears to be very late die state, especially with the die break. But they are both gorgeous. In fact, mine looks lifeless without the beautiful toning of yours!

1913Dbuffalo.jpg

I guess MS64★ on the first one, and MS66 on the 2nd one. Both very pretty Buffalo Nickels. (thumbs u

Just curious, but the 1st one looks to have a planchet flaw at 1 o'clock on the obverse. Is that true, or am I just seeing something in the picture??

Yep, there's a die crack there and I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out....Thanks...Joe

I'm going to say MS64 on the first and MS65 on the second. I'm basing this on the only one that I own, which is a 64. Your first one appears to be very late die state, especially with the die break. But they are both gorgeous. In fact, mine looks lifeless without the beautiful toning of yours!

1913Dbuffalo.jpg

Your 64 is VERY bold for the grade! The reverse is hammered and makes me wonder why the assigned grade of 64? Hmmmmmm?

You are correct about the later die state of the first coin I posted, die cracks and just general all around wear on the dies. Thank you for the complements on my Buffs...Joe

I'll go with 63 on the first and 65 on the second.

There is a little doubling of the feathers and date, likely mechanical, but adds interest to the coin.

Me likey.

The first design 1913 nickels wore out dies very quickly. Particles off the rough surface ground down the dies. Barber changed the reverse and had it approved by Fraser

The first design 1913 nickels wore out dies very quickly. Particles off the rough surface ground down the dies. Barber changed the reverse and had it approved by Fraser

Here's a fresh set of dies at work....NGC MS-67 CAC

13type1s079.jpg13type1s080.jpg

64+ (the weak strike on the bison's head precludes a higher grade IMO)

All coins are gorgeous.

Edit to add: I see that you have posted additional (attractive) nickels; my grades were for the two nickels included in the original post.