• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Extremely rare Susan B anthony coin

18 posts in this topic

The susan b anthony coin i have was printed on the Sacajuwea planchet. It is being sold on ebay for 15000 dollars. There is only 3 known to the US. If you know anything else about this coin please email me. I am not a big time coin collecter but i would like to find out more about this one. It is pennsylvania mint and was made in 1999. I have not had it checked out yet by any major service which is why i would like to know more about these coins to make sure mine is real. jjsoapdish@hotmail.com

You might want to do a little research on coins before you begin an auction write-up.

Coins are not printed, they are minted, and the "brass" that you refer to would be the planchet of a Sacagawea dollar. Has the coin in question been certified by a major grading service?

The best course of action is to have the coin authenticated by NGC or another service. There are many deceptive fakes out there and this could be simply an electroplated coin or it could be the genuine article. In any case, if the coin was going to be sold at auction, it would be certified first.

I know of a couple of transitional strikes of the SBA on Sacagawea planchets. My personal opinion is that they were made purposely by mint employees; the same employees who created and released other error coins.

Neil

Welcome aboard.Cladding on the Sac is thicker than the SBA. It may be impossible to spot this on a struck coin but look at the edge. It should be reeded and look clad.

If I'm not mistaken, it should be the same size as a regular SBA, since they have the same dimensions (the SBA and Sac are both 8.1 grams, 26.5 mm diameter).

Aren't there known experimental planchets for the SBA dollars? I've seen experimental planchets, which state quarters were struck on before, and some of the planchets were gold colored. Just a thought. It would be best to have it certified by a major grading service. PCGS, NGC, or ANACS would the be the ones to go with.

SBA's and Sacs are the same size and should have the same density for practical purposes. The outer clad layers on the Sacs are thicker than on a SBA. I'm not certain this will be very helpful in determining authenticity but it might help to determine if it needs further research.

Do you have a link we can go to? I just sent two error SBAs for grading. One was broadstruck and the other one was 20% off center. Both SBAs were 1999 P. I hope they were proof coins as they were both very brilliant looking coins once the gold plating was removed. Someone had them gold plated. What a bad mistake. I removed the plating and no copper core can be seen on them.WHY???????

Coinholeio

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

The weight of a both the SAC and the SBA is 8.1 grams. I am not sure where you could get the Specific Gravity but most people use the weight which is the same.

Well, you'd have to either rig up something or purchase something to get the specific gravity. But it's a good way to check the density to see what it shows up as. Although I do not know if the SBA and Sac have the same density.

Different materials have different mass. If the Mass is different then the Specific Gravity is different.

COINHOLEIO

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

How do you know that one in the picture is not gold plated? Mine was. Can you provide an edge view scan of any of the coins?

COINHOLEIO

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS