• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone want to give an Opinion on this Walker? Surprise!!!

30 posts in this topic

It has a nice patina. I'm going to guess PF66. At least, I think the hand detail makes it a sure-fire proof. (shrug) I'm by no means a Walker aficionado, so even telling if it's a proof or mint state coin sometimes can be difficult! :applause:

It has a nice patina. I'm going to guess PF66. At least, I think the hand detail makes it a sure-fire proof. (shrug) I'm by no means a Walker aficionado, so even telling if it's a proof or mint state coin sometimes can be difficult! :applause:

I agree fully. It appears to be AT LEAST very PROOFLIKE based solely upon the images and we know that prooflike business strikes are rarer than rare. I have seen many proofs with nice patina on them as this one displays. It has a needle sharp strike, as well. It is a Philly coin and their business strike coins are also known for their sharp strikes. That coin is at least a 66 grade---this much I can say for sure. I am not sure it's a proof but I'll bet that coin is a suberb gem MS 67 business strike, in any event. I rarely guess MS 67 when GTG but this coin I will give that honor to. I don't believe it's a proof after further scrutiny but it IS a superb gem.

I'll go with a very well struck Business strike MS-65. The huge mark on the eagle's breast is going to bring it down some.

I think what you guys are interpreting as PL or proof is an artifact of the imaging and the lighting - I'll bet in hand, you would not make that mistake. Yet another reason why I always say, you have to be able to properly interpret images, as well as grade the coin.

I'll go with a very well struck Business strike MS-65. The huge mark on the eagle's breast is going to bring it down some.

I think what you guys are interpreting as PL or proof is an artifact of the imaging and the lighting - I'll bet in hand, you would not make that mistake. Yet another reason why I always say, you have to be able to properly interpret images, as well as grade the coin.

+1 on all counts.

103_0075-1-1.jpg

The huge mark on the eagle's breast is going to bring it down some.

Good eye Jason and Charlie.

I saw it as well, and it brings what looks like an MS-66 coin down at least a couple of notches.

Oldtrader3]Really nice coin but I wonder what the large mark on the eagle's breast feathers will do to the grade? MS64 maybe?[/b]

Well I thought as all of you thought that the mark on eagles breast would bring the grade down a little, but I was in for a big awakening. This coin was detailed BU with reverse damage. :frustrated::facepalm:

404380_249760528431330_126894987384552_578025_1928179561_n.jpg

Well, the devil is in the details.

I zoomed out too much on this one and I didn't concentrate on the obvious.

I still say that the coin woulda MS 66-67ed, otherwise.

I, honestly, didn't think that the mark was THAT much of a factor for limiting it to a DETAILS grade.

I'm a relative newbie to Walkers (I'm trying to assemble a short set) but from what I have seen 41 P's seem to be easy to come by with a decent stike.

I'll take a guess at...........64.

I, honestly, didn't think that the mark was THAT much of a factor for limiting it to a DETAILS grade.

Without meaning to offend anyone, it's an example of a coin that should not be slabbed at all. Basically, all the grade opinions up through MS-64 are about the equivalent of the NGC opinion. The best way to summarize is: it's a UNC coin, so common that there really isn't any need to split hairs between MS-60 and MS-64.

Without meaning to offend anyone, it's an example of a coin that should not be slabbed at all. Basically, all the grade opinions up through MS-64 are about the equivalent of the NGC opinion. The best way to summarize is: it's a UNC coin, so common that there really isn't any need to split hairs between MS-60 and MS-64.

Agreed James. (thumbs u

The 2nd image posted of the reverse doesn't look PL at all to me, so my confusion was definitely a function of the blurry and oddly lit first images. I will say though, I still think the branch-hand thumb detail on this one is FAR above average. That's what was mostly throwing me, as I've only seen proofs with that level of detail in the hand.

The 2nd image posted of the reverse doesn't look PL at all to me, so my confusion was definitely a function of the blurry and oddly lit first images. I will say though, I still think the branch-hand thumb detail on this one is FAR above average. That's what was mostly throwing me, as I've only seen proofs with that level of detail in the hand.

Not to mention the remarkable surface preservation in all other areas besides the breast and blazing luster.

I never would have interpreted the coin as PL, but I will confess that I often have difficulty interpreting images from different techniques. Any pointers that you have (or even a WYNTK post) would be much appreciated.