• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie question about possible solid silver 1976 half dollar?

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a 1976 half dollar and the edge has no copper showing. It seems to have a slightly different hue to some 1974 halves that I am comparing it to. It doesn't appear to have the extra detailed strike or the satin finish of a proof coin though. Is it possible this coin is solid silver? Or is it more likely it was just struck in a way that the copper does not show on the coin edge? If pics are required I can do my best but I'm not sure how clear I can get a photo of a coin edge

Bicentennial halves were minted in 40% silver in San Francisco (in both uncirculated and Proof).

If your coin has an "S" mintmark just below Kennedy's bust, then that's most likely what you have.

Bicentennial halves were minted in 40% silver in San Francisco (in both uncirculated and Proof).

If your coin has an "S" mintmark just below Kennedy's bust, then that's most likely what you have.

Ditto. It's likely a 40% silver half dollar. They are very common.

Yeah it has the S mark. Thanks for the info :)

The 40% silver 1976 Bicentennial half dollars had three layers. The obverse and reverse layers were made of 80% silver and 20% copper. The middle layer was 20% silver and 80% copper. Frequently no line can be seen between the three layers like the two you lines you see on the copper-nickel clad coinage.