• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881 s Morgan Grade on page 3

26 posts in this topic

I can't really tell from those images.I'll say Unc +.

What grading company slabbed your Morgan?

Looks like its in a PCGS holder

Pictures are tough to tell - What I do see is a flattened hairline and lightly hit breast feathering on an "S" mint that usually have strong strikes. Fields look nice so even with the light strike at least a 64

Pictures could be better but you're new at it too. Coin looks pretty flawless, I'd give it a 65 even with the slightly flattened hair just above the ear assuming I'm not looking at trick photography.

Better pictures coming. Very hard to get the luster to show. Circle of hazing covering the center of both obverse and reverse.

The obverse and reverse look like different camera settings and lighting were used. What kind of lighting are you using? I'm hardly what you would consider a good photographer of coins, but capturing luster should be fairly easy unless you're just using regular daylight or a scanner.

Chris

Better pictures coming. Very hard to get the luster to show. Circle of hazing covering the center of both obverse and reverse.

Better to leave the brightness and contrast alone with software as you can see back grounds are different. Use better lighting on the coin so you do not have to play with that. It may tend to be a little bluish depending on the lighting you are using and white balance but better than playing with the picture after taking it.

Good Luck

The obverse and reverse look like different camera settings and lighting were used. What kind of lighting are you using? I'm hardly what you would consider a good photographer of coins, but capturing luster should be fairly easy unless you're just using regular daylight or a scanner.

Chris

Stop copying me - you know how I hate that :o)

Ok Pictures updated best I can do. Graded by PCGS, One hit mark by the 2nd "U" in "UNUM" is hard to see, but other than that must flaws show.

Much better pics. Now, I would call the coin at least MS-67+, but that is ignoring the PVC haze. If the images are true, then the coin definitely needs to be conserved, as it has potentially damaging residue on it.

Ok Pictures updated best I can do. Graded by PCGS, One hit mark by the 2nd "U" in "UNUM" is hard to see, but other than that must flaws show.

Much better pics. Now, I would call the coin at least MS-67+, but that is ignoring the PVC haze. If the images are true, then the coin definitely needs to be conserved, as it has potentially damaging residue on it.

Looks like shadowing and some spotting - better pictures good job.

MS66 because of the fields being so nice :)

Still not a fan of the strike but could be a set of dies ready to be replaced

Nice coin nvertheless ^^

Something seems odd about the surfaces to me, either that or you used the sharpen feature on your photo editing software. My concerns are the PL fields combined with what appears to be striking issues for this date. I've never seen an 81 S with PL fields and weakly struck breast feathers. If it is problem free, I would lean toward 66PL.

It will be interesting to see the full slab picture when he shows the grade.

That will give us a little more perspective of the coin at a distance ...

Im new to grading Mint State coins. It appears proof like becuase of the hazing. If im correct it may be DMPL its hard to get the coin to cartwheel but she has mirror like surfaces.

Chris

Stop copying me - you know how I hate that :o)

I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you!

Chris :devil:

GTG will post Grade tomorrow. UPDATED PHOTOS

I'm confused by all of the little specks all over the place. It's almost as if someone shined a light in the dark on a swarm of no-seeums.

It does look little a slightly weak strike which is unusual for this date/mm. I don't think it would be better than MS65.

Chris

GTG will post Grade tomorrow. UPDATED PHOTOS

I'm confused by all of the little specks all over the place. It's almost as if someone shined a light in the dark on a swarm of no-seeums.

It does look little a slightly weak strike which is unusual for this date/mm. I don't think it would be better than MS65.

Chris

I agree, except that the coin may be deserving of 65+ because of the clean fields (provided that conservation is successful if that is PVC hazing and there is no damage). The strike is weak for an 1881-s, and would preclude some of the higher grades posted here.

looks under graded.

The strike had to hurt but 63? hm

I mentioned the surface haze in my previous couple of posts. I'd bet that there is light surface damage that net-graded down to MS-63.

Seriously, to the OP, crack the coin out and ship it off to NGC for conservation. You might have a really nice "diamond in the rough", and the potential to make big bucks is there. It's a horribly common coin, and the green label slab means little at this grade level.

looks under graded.

The strike had to hurt but 63? hm

I mentioned the surface haze in my previous couple of posts. I'd bet that there is light surface damage that net-graded down to MS-63.

Seriously, to the OP, crack the coin out and ship it off to NGC for conservation. You might have a really nice "diamond in the rough", and the potential to make big bucks is there. It's a horribly common coin, and the green label slab means little at this grade level.

I happen to agree with you.