• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Show your Gold Coins!
1 1

338 posts in this topic

In response to coinman's post above here is a Saint I owned some years ago. Pretty weird.

20d-24p.jpg

jom

I would love to own this. It's a shame you no longer have it, and that it isn't on your sales website.

I would love to own this. It's a shame you no longer have it, and that it isn't on your sales website.

I looked up my records and I owned the coin for a short period of time in the latter part of 2003. It's been gone a LONG time....and only had a couple of months to boot. Keep looking you'll run across one again....

Also...I love Bill's Pan Pac! :banana:

jom

Here's a couple of more. Anyone have any thoughts on the $2.5 Indian? I've heard some think this is AT....the purple color anyways. The $10 is perfectly NT...typical of the data actually.

2.jpg

10d-11p.jpg

jom

I'm trying to figure out how that coin toned that shade of color.What reaction would cause it?.The more i look at it ,the more i like it.

$5 1808/7 Breen-6455, B-2A. Rarity-5 Obverse Struck Thru Mint Error ex Harry W. Bass Jr. collection, formally Quality Sales Corporation’s auction of the estate of John A. Beck, Part I, January 1975, Beck began collecting in the late 1860's. It's the only John Reich error known for this series, as it has a large planchet strike through imperfection which covers star 4 on the obverse. The obverse also has a diagonal bisecting crack from the border at 1:00 through the cap and head of Miss Liberty to star 2. Another crack from the border through star 11 almost reaches the hair.

5yjesfb.jpg63c584m.jpg

Preliminary images of a recent NEWP are below. Sometimes I have a hard time getting worn gold just right. I could increase the contrast a touch but then the images are oranger than the true color so still working on this one. These were done with CFL's, I might go back to halogens as I tend to get better images of worn gold with these.

Nevertheless a nice example with original surfaces and minimal hits from its time in circulation. Still has nice cartwheels on both sides under the light.

Best, HT

1881-CC5dPCGSXF45CAC.jpg

Edited by Hard Times

My oldest gold coin!

It is cleaned and scratched Someday I hope to get a late eighteen century perhaps a1795 small eagle . Sigh, alsa they are out of my price range.

Is that a "2" underneath the "3" of 1803?

My oldest gold coin!

It is cleaned and scratched Someday I hope to get a late eighteen century perhaps a1795 small eagle . Sigh, alsa they are out of my price range.

Is that a "2" underneath the "3" of 1803?

It's an 1803/2.

Thick original skinned and rare, just like I like them. The observed patina is characteristic for the year and date although it may have been dipped in the far past, who knows. To quote Winter - 'Between 75 and 80% of 1842-O quarter eagles I have seen are weakly struck. ' Those that are struck well appear to have die cracks at the bases of ICA in AMERICA. This one has the very fine die cracks on close inspection, that extends to the base between E and R as well. Within the grade of AU53, this one is as good as it gets and most of what is seen is wear, with a possible touch of weakness on eagles right leg feathers, weakness in Miss Liberty's hair around the face, etc.. Certainly there are examples out there with all central feathers mostly absent and lacking most of the features on Miss Liberty in MS holders for this New Orleans quarter eagle date. Whether this example would get a green bean though is another issue.

Of interest, this was sold at a HA auction in an earlier NGC holder in 2008. The images of this example in that holder show lots of dirt around the devices and in the dentils attesting to its originality, or at least it has been some time since dipped it if ever was. Now it is in an edge view holder, same grade, lacking dirt. I suspect it was sent into NCS to remove the dirt. If so, they did a great job in keeping the original patina but removing the dirt. Dirty Gold purists would probably not like the conservation performed but I like this piece. It may also be why it might not get the gold bean(?).

Best, HT

1842-O25dNGCAU53comp.jpg