• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Show your Gold Coins!
1 1

338 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2022 at 10:12 PM, rrantique said:

2940968_Full_Obv.jpg

2940968_Full_Rev.jpg

walk.jpg

walk1.jpg

There is nothing I don't like about your coin.  Any idea what "SP" stands for in the grade? Your avatar is ever-vigilant and I've got your back, come what may way.

On 12/25/2022 at 9:19 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

There is nothing I don't like about your coin.  Any idea what "SP" stands for in the grade? Your avatar is ever-vigilant and I've got your back, come what may way.

SP==Specimen. A hybrid between Mint State and Proof.:hi:

On 12/26/2022 at 10:44 AM, rrantique said:

SP==Specimen. A hybrid between Mint State and Proof.:hi:

Geez, I hope you know who doesn't see this.  That and cats gets his goat.:roflmao:

On 12/27/2022 at 12:30 AM, rrantique said:

2940967_Full_Obv.jpg

2940967_Full_Rev.jpg

IMG_0230 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_0228 - Copy.JPG

I only wished they had a type 2 Gold SLQ in 2017. The type 2 coins are very hard to fully detailed in the original series. The Mercury Dimes are the likeliest to have full details out of all 3 1916 designs. Part of why I like the idea of the US Mint bringing back old designs into the modern era. Since these coins are also works of art, it gives us a chance to buy fully detailed versions of those works of art whereas the original series is harder to deal with. 

On 12/27/2022 at 6:31 AM, olympicsos said:

Part of why I like the idea of the US Mint bringing back old designs into the modern era. Since these coins are also works of art, it gives us a chance to buy fully detailed versions of those works of art whereas the original series is harder to deal with. 

I liked the thought of the Mint bringing back classic designs but after seeing the laser engraved Peace and Morgan bullion issues I'm much less enthusiastic about the whole idea. 

On 12/26/2022 at 7:44 AM, olympicsos said:

It's the most well struck Walking Liberty Half you'll find. None of the Walking Liberty Halves in the original series come close to the detail found on the gold centennial issue. 

I'm not surprised, considering the improvements in technology in the 70 years since.  The digital enhancements, micro-lasers, all the other stuff used to make the models and then transfer it to the dies, etc....plus the improved striking accuracy and lower tolerances of the presses.

When you think about it, the quality of the coins in the late-1800's was kind of remarkable.(thumbsu

On 12/27/2022 at 6:31 AM, olympicsos said:

....The Mercury Dimes are the likeliest to have full details out of all 3 1916 designs....

Wanna bet?  I automatically assumed a U.S. Mint product encapsulated and showcased in OGP was a Proof.  Surprise, surprise!  What in heck is a "business strike"----and more importantly, where's the detail? I don't know what I paid for it (and I  don't want to know) but unfortunately for me I don't have an enemy in the world worthy of bestowing this golden atrocity upon.   :whatthe:

On 12/27/2022 at 8:15 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

rrantique, your 1924 Double Eagle has the saddest eyes....

:signofftopic:   WARNING!

OFFENSIVE CONTENT...

It's got a fancy all-inclusive name today:  "domestic abuse."  I don't know what they called it back then because being truthful was considered impolite and potentially problematic.

On 12/27/2022 at 9:02 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm not surprised, considering the improvements in technology in the 70 years since.  The digital enhancements, micro-lasers, all the other stuff used to make the models and then transfer it to the dies, etc....plus the improved striking accuracy and lower tolerances of the presses.

When you think about it, the quality of the coins in the late-1800's was kind of remarkable.(thumbsu

Agreed also at the same time, the period when we had the most beautiful designs on our coinage was the time when coins had terrible strikes. $20 Saints, the majority of MS coins are technically AU due to knee rub which wouldn't be tolerated in any other series; Indian Head Quarter and Half Eagles, they can grade AU the minute they leave the press because of the sunken surface and they're also the most counterfeited US coins out there; Walking Liberty Halves, NONE of them have the full eagle feather detail present on the gold 2016 centennial pieces, you may get some that are close to a full thumb or have some feather detail such as the 1936 proof and circulation issues or the 1941 proofs (many of which have feather detail but no AW monogram); Standing Liberty Quarters, even coins with full heads have weaknesses in other areas and you end up paying a premium while missing shield rivet and other details; many Buffalo Nickels have strike weaknesses too. The only exception to this is Mercury Dimes which tend to have the best strikes out of the classic coin designs and ironically the 2016 gold centennial issue had no full split bands like the original series. That's the biggest reason why I like the idea that the US Mint is doing a modern Morgan and Peace series and believe that they should expand it to the other series. The renaissance designs are not just coins but works of art and who wants a work of art that is missing detail? 

Edited by olympicsos

On 12/27/2022 at 9:57 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Wanna bet?  I automatically assumed a U.S. Mint product encapsulated and showcased in OGP was a Proof.  Surprise, surprise!  What in heck is a "business strike"----and more importantly, where's the detail? I don't know what I paid for it (and I  don't want to know) but unfortunately for me I don't have an enemy in the world worthy of bestowing this golden atrocity upon.   :whatthe:

I meant the Mercury Dime is the likeliest to have full details in the original series out of all 3 designs. Walkers don't always come nice and we all know SLQ's don't come nice either. 

On 12/28/2022 at 6:44 AM, olympicsos said:

....The only exception to this is Mercury Dimes which tend to have the best strikes out of the classic coin designs and ironically the 2016 gold centennial issue had no full split bands like the original series....  [Emphasis mine.]

Finally, something that's been quietly vexing me for the past three years since I got this thing hit paydirt.  I am not a Winged Lady aficionado so there was nothing for me to compare this with.  Correct me if I am wrong but if this is pure gold, it stands to reason then that imparting the most basic detail to it should not have presented a problem to modern minters.  In fact, it would seem it could be accomplished with less pressure.  But what do I know?  No full split bands? I want my money back!  (shrug)

On 12/27/2022 at 9:09 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

:signofftopic:   WARNING!

OFFENSIVE CONTENT...

It's got a fancy all-inclusive name today:  "domestic abuse."  I don't know what they called it back then because being truthful was considered impolite and potentially problematic.

I disagree. I think what he is referring to is the sad economy and the era of this country after the great depression.(shrug)

On 12/28/2022 at 6:44 AM, olympicsos said:

Agreed also at the same time, the period when we had the most beautiful designs on our coinage was the time when coins had terrible strikes. $20 Saints, the majority of MS coins are technically AU due to knee rub which wouldn't be tolerated in any other series; Indian Head Quarter and Half Eagles, they can grade AU the minute they leave the press because of the sunken surface and they're also the most counterfeited US coins out there; Walking Liberty Halves, NONE of them have the full eagle feather detail present on the gold 2016 centennial pieces, you may get some that are close to a full thumb or have some feather detail such as the 1936 proof and circulation issues or the 1941 proofs (many of which have feather detail but no AW monogram); Standing Liberty Quarters, even coins with full heads have weaknesses in other areas and you end up paying a premium while missing shield rivet and other details; many Buffalo Nickels have strike weaknesses too. The only exception to this is Mercury Dimes which tend to have the best strikes out of the classic coin designs and ironically the 2016 gold centennial issue had no full split bands like the original series. That's the biggest reason why I like the idea that the US Mint is doing a modern Morgan and Peace series and believe that they should expand it to the other series. The renaissance designs are not just coins but works of art and who wants a work of art that is missing detail? 

...its called numismatic impressionism....

On 12/28/2022 at 3:52 PM, zadok said:

...its called numismatic impressionism....

🐓:  "Numismatic impressionism."  Aren't you going to say anything, Q?

Q.A.:  Pointillism, a form of neo-imprressionist art, I heard of, but this?  I am going to have to let the Great One slide on this.  Besides, is it important enough to spark another parting shot like "Outta here"? I think not. He wins!