• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Show your Gold Coins!
1 1

338 posts in this topic

@rrantique:

Your Mercury looks a whole lot better than mine. I believe I must have believed "business strike" was a special type of issue to commemorate a specific coin of a specific era. A top Leaderboard member pointed out something which hadn't occurred to me: due to their gold content, each new 2016 example is smaller than its 100-year old predecessor.

On 11/11/2022 at 4:59 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

That rich-black color...how do modern gold (proof) coins get that color ?  Is it just mirror-like polishing ?

Mirror-like polishing and camera/lighting/background skills. They don't look like that in-hand under normal conditions.

On 11/11/2022 at 5:48 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Mirror-like polishing and camera/lighting/background skills. They don't look like that in-hand under normal conditions.

But they do have that Deep Cameo look of super-reflectivity. (thumbsu

On 11/12/2022 at 12:59 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Rooster !! (thumbsu   20 French Francs, right...what gold size is that ?

From 1906 through 1914, France minted Gold 20 Franc Roosters at the Paris Mint. These coins were the first 20 Franc Gold coins produced by the city and were designed by J.C. Chaplain. Each coin contains almost a fifth of an ounce (0.1867) of pure gold 

On 11/12/2022 at 8:01 AM, ShinyObjects said:

From 1906 through 1914, France minted Gold 20 Franc Roosters at the Paris Mint. These coins were the first 20 Franc Gold coins produced by the city and were designed by J.C. Chaplain. Each coin contains almost a fifth of an ounce (0.1867) of pure gold 

The French 20-franc gold rooster series was actually the eleventh and last in the long line of such denominations produced by the Paris mint.  And though dated 1906 to 1914, they were actually minted in 1921, as well as in the 1950's and 1960's.  Unofficially, they are referred to as the "restrikes" in English.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:11 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

The French 20-franc gold rooster series was actually the eleventh and last in the long line of such denominations produced by the Paris mint.  And though dated 1906 to 1914, they were actually minted in 1921, as well as in the 1950's and 1960's.  Unofficially, they are referred to as the "restrikes" in English.

Thanks, QA I'm sure you know a little more about the 🐓 's than me :)