• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 50 state quarter program sure is a windfall for telemarketers

12 posts in this topic

Seem every night when flipping through channels these crooks are hyping these worthless state quarters. Right now some slick willy is claiming he has $1,200 value of them all for 2 payments of $99.95

And that "Smokey Bear" exclusive album is sure to be a hit!

These guys must be getting rich from the dopes buying these.

"A fool and his money are soon parted." --Thomas Tusser

"A fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place." --Gordon Gekko

Oh yeah.... These shows really get on my nerves. Invariably they are hawking either commonly available coins at a huge premium, or what appears to be nice collectable coins (morgans, walkers, etc.) at up to twice what you can find them for in the local coin shop or even on eBay. Sometimes for giggles I watch for a while so I can look up comparable coins on line and then yell at the tv. I consider it therapy....my wife thinks I need a shrink.....

The best one yet was this gal who didn't know the difference between mint sets and proof sets, but was sure that the audience needed to get this "complete mint state collection before it was gone"

For some reason I stop at those channels and just think "wow, how amazing it is to look at them advertise coins as they do with so much confidence and excitement". They sound so sure of what they say while knowing that all the people buying are getting blindly robbed.

It really makes you wonder how these guys and gals peddeling this over priced garbage can sleep at night. Of course this isn't new.... Littleton just sent me a coin catalog where I could get a commemorative WTC coin for $95..... Of course I can get the same coin from the mint direct for $66....and we all know the mints prices are not inflated at all......

Oh yeah.... These shows really get on my nerves. Invariably they are hawking either commonly available coins at a huge premium, or what appears to be nice collectable coins (morgans, walkers, etc.) at up to twice what you can find them for in the local coin shop or even on eBay. Sometimes for giggles I watch for a while so I can look up comparable coins on line and then yell at the tv. I consider it therapy....my wife thinks I need a shrink.....

The best one yet was this gal who didn't know the difference between mint sets and proof sets, but was sure that the audience needed to get this "complete mint state collection before it was gone"

I do the same thing.. The Coin Vault always get the blood pressure up.

It really makes you wonder how these guys and gals peddeling this over priced garbage can sleep at night. Of course this isn't new.... Littleton just sent me a coin catalog where I could get a commemorative WTC coin for $95..... Of course I can get the same coin from the mint direct for $66....and we all know the mints prices are not inflated at all......

Not all the TV channels that market coins sell junk. But they are all overpriced one way or another. I've watched AAN in the early hours of the morning, and they seem to show better coins and currency. HSN is one of the worst in my eyes. What I CANNOT get over is this new TV ad from National Collectors mint for the US Mint $50 Gold Buffalo replica coin. They use lines like "gold is on the rise, and going thru the roof!" and mention how the US Mint coin is the only .9999 pure gold. the one in the ad is CLAD in 31 mm gold!!. They claim its worth $50 bucks but they are selling them for $19.99. REALLY?!?! if you melt down the gold off this clad table leg wedge, how much would you get? 3 grains?

It makes me twitch.

I hear ya....I talked about those "gold " buffalo's in another thread as being despicable because they target uninformed elderly viewers. Technically they aren't breaking the law I guess, because they do eventually call it a replica, but you have to track it pretty close to pick up on it.....Grrrr...I really detest people who take advantage of the elderly....

You guys watch the show "Moonshiners"? I think they have some coins to put on late nite TV to help supplement their income.

They way they advertise it can be misguiding if you don't know anything about coins, or even bullion. Look at when silver and gold market prices started rising. Do you remember seeing all the 100 and 500 mills gold layered art bars on ebay? Yes they were 1 oz total weight, but when gold spot got up in to $1,250 - $1,500 some people thought gold was gold and said WOW $10.00 for 1 oz of gold! its a steal! and YES it was a steal how some sellers put disclaimers saying they are not solid gold in the smallest font size at the bottom of the ads. Taking advatage of the less knowledgable and novice collectors is wrong.

Another thing that "boomed" on ebay and with some coin collectors and dealers is pure copper bullion. the current spot price is $3.78 per pound, I've seen dealers selling 1 pound of pure copper in bars for $14.99! And even on Ebay, 1 OUNCE of pure copper I see buy it now listings for $3.99. Alot of people I know would say "coppers going up like crazy!" and I ask them if they have seen the live online charts. Kitco shows the 1 year high at $4.62 and the 1 year low at $3.05. Saying copper is a good way of investing in metals other than silver, gold, platinum etc, but buying 1 pound of copper now for $14.99 c'mon, your going to be waiting years and years to even be able to sell it for a $1.00 profit.

if you melt down the gold off this clad table leg wedge, how much would you get? 3 grains?

You wish. You would have to melt down seven of them to get that much gold. Thirty one milligrams is .031 gm to convert to grains you multiply by 15 so 15 X .031 = .465 gr Six of the would give you 2.79 gr To get over 3 grains you have to throw that seventh one in.